53540Re: Regarding Outlines in Test Reports, 3/1/2009, 9:15 am

  • Rick D.
    Mar 3, 2009
      Hi team,

      I understand and applaud all efforts to tighten up our reports. As a
      related item, is it okay to include a brief paragraph in initial and
      firld reports noting key, unanswered test questions? e.g., "I have
      yet to see how well this [tent/rain jacket/pair of boots...] handles
      heavy rain."

      Thanks,

      Rick

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com,
      backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Reminder from: backpackgeartesters Yahoo! Group
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters/cal
      >
      > Regarding Outlines in Test Reports
      > Sunday March 1, 2009
      > 9:15 am - 9:15 am
      > (This event repeats every month on the first Sunday until Tuesday
      June 30, 2009.)

      > Notes:
      > Please note that the "testing strategy" section in reports had been
      merely optional, not required, for at least a year, and the decision
      has been made by Jerry to remove it entirely in due course. ALSO NOTE
      that it will still be required in applications.

      > It will be omitted as a test requirement in the next version of the
      Survival Guide. Although the "outline" is present on one of the tabs
      in the current version of Report Writer, the Editors prefer that it
      be omitted completely. They will [comment] it, although it will not
      yet be listed as an [EDIT].

      > Unfortunately, it seems to have been creeping back into reports in
      the past year. Since the new versions of the SG and RW are not yet in
      place, I will be issuing periodic reminders for testers in the form
      of a repeating monthly message.

      > Reasons?
      >
      > The outline adds needless bulk to the report, without supplying any
      real information. Testing, after all, is done by following the
      application outline where feasible, but it also involves reacting to
      new discoveries about the performance of the gear under test,
      > reporting on those, and so on. It's an evolutionary process.
      >
      > The testing outline quite often becomes almost irrelevant in
      practice. Testers should, of course, investigate all the avenues
      mentioned in their application if they prove relevant, but it
      shouldn't be necessary for the reader of the report to know what that
      outline is, and (as already stated) testing shouldn't be limited by
      and to the outline.

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Ted
      >
      > Senior Edit Moderator