      From: Leesa J <leesaj@...>
      Subject: Re: [backpackgeartesters] FR - Bridgedale Endurance Trekker Socks - Jerry Adams
      To: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 4:45 PM

      Hi Jerry,

      I was just trying to get caught up entering test info and noticed you posted
      this early. Reports shouldn't be posted more than 2 weeks before the due
      date (Jan. 20th).

      Could you resend after that? I'm afraid your monitor may not pick it up
      this early.

      Thanks,
      Leesa

      "http://www.bridgedale.com
      > ">>
      > Measured Weight: 3.4 oz (95 g) for size L
      > I got the grey color. They also make blue, green, black, gunmetal, and
      > oatmeal.
      > There are also some green and darker grey places. "bridgedale",
      "TREKKER",
      > and "L" (the size) are woven into the socks in green.
      > It appears that the heel, sole, and toe are a bit heavier (for improved
      > wear and comfort?).
      > The Fiber Content is:
      > 41% New Wool
      > 37% Nylon/polyamide
      > 21% Endurofil�/polypropylene
      > 1% Lycra(R)/elastane
      > The socks have "WoolFushion" technology. The wool fibers are
      wrapped with a
      > wicking fiber which is supposed to wick away sweat better, and wear
      longer.
      > The socks are midweight on a scale of lightweight, midweight, and
      > heavyweight. This refers to warmth and cushion. Lighter weight is
      generally
      > better in hot weather. Lighter weight provides less cushion for comfort.
      If
      > the socks weigh less then it's less tiring after walking many miles.
      > Bridgedale is a British company.
      > Socks with packing sleeve:
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">>
      > Trying them on:
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>
      >

      > INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      >
      > The socks were packaged in a cardboard sleeve, which had some good
      > information about the socks.
      > The knitting was uniform. The junctions between different types of yarn,
      > like at the heel, were uniform. These socks appear to be well made.
      >

      > READING THE INSTRUCTIONS
      >
      > The only instructions were how to wash (40 degree C (104 degree F) wool
      > cycle, no bleach, tumble dry low heat).
      >
      > TRYING IT OUT
      >
      > The socks feel good in my hands.
      > I wore the socks with my mid height boots raking leaves in the yard and on
      > a 2.5 mile (4 km) walk on paved surfaces. They felt good.
      > The size L fit my size 12 feet fairly loosely. According to Bridgedale, a
      > size L fits US size 10 to 12.5. I think that for a US size 10 or 11, a
      > Bridgedale size M sock might be better. If the socks are too big, there is
      > risk of a wrinkle forming while wearing them, which could cause a blister.
      >
      > TESTING STRATEGY
      >
      > I do about one backpack trip every month. Over the fall and winter,
      I'll do
> [...]
      the
      > long term test I should have about this distance so I should at least get
      an
      > idea about this.
      >

      > SUMMARY
      >
      > So far so good. I am looking forward to testing these socks.
      > Thanks to BackPackerGearTest. org and Bridgedale for the opportunity to
      > test this item.
      > This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in about 2 months for
      > my Field Report on this item.
      >

      > <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>
      >
      > FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS
      >
      > All of my testing was done with one pair of Bridgedale Endurance Trekker
      > socks and a pair of mid weight leather boots.
      > I washed the socks four times in warm water and dried them in the drier
      > using the warm setting.
      > On the backpack trips, I wore the socks in my sleeping bag at night so
      they
      > were dry in the morning, (although when the boots were wet, the socks got
      > wet again after I put on my boots in the morning).
      > I did a three night backpack up the Deschutes River in Northern central
      > Oregon. The elevation was 250 to 1000 feet (75 to 300 m). Temperature
      was
      > 40 to 70 degrees F (5 to 20 C). Fairly dry. I walked 26 miles (42 km).
      > The trail was dirt, gravel, and some boulders.
      > I did a three night backpack up to Cast Lake, West of Mount Hood, in
      > Northern central Oregon. The elevation was 1500 to 4500 feet (500 to 1400
      > m). Temperature was 32 to 50 degree F (0 to 10 C). Rainy and wet snow on
      > the ground at places. I walked 24 miles (38 km). My boots and socks were
      > quite wet the entire time. The trail was dirt, gravel, some boulders, and
      > some snow.
      > I did a three night backpack up to Dublin Lake, in Northern central
      > Oregon. The elevation was 200 to 4100 feet (60 to 1250 m). Temperature
      was
      > 32 to 50 degree F (0 to 10 C). Rainy and wet snow on the ground. I
      walked
      > 22 miles (35 km). My boots and socks were quite wet the entire time. The
      > trail was dirt, gravel, some boulders, and some snow.
      > I did 20 miles (30 km) of day hiking around Portland Oregon on dry
      pavement
      > about 40 degree F (6 C).
      > I did 55 miles (90 km) of day hiking around Portland Oregon in snow from
      20
      > to 35 degree F (-7 to 2 C). My socks got a bit damp.
      > Total mileage was 147 miles (235 km).
      >
      > PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD
      >
      > The socks were comfortable, no blisters or anything. The elastic around
      > the ankles kept the socks up without being too constrictive. There were
      no
      > abnormal odor problems.
      > I did 6 days of backpacking with the socks wet. The socks were as
      > comfortable as possible for wet socks. In my experience, sometimes
      I'll get
      > blisters when the socks are wet, but I didn't have any problem with
      this.
      > There were no durability problems. After the Field Test, the socks were
      > about as thick as a new pair. The Field Test consisted of 147 miles (235
      > km), 9 nights of backpacking including 6 when the socks were wet, and four
      > washings. I have found that socks wear out faster in backpack trips when
      > they get really wet. There was a little pilling (some of the wool fiber
      > comes out of the sock weave and forms little clumps on the surface).
      > I figure that socks should last at least 250 miles (400 km) and maybe 8
      > washings before wearing out. The first thing that happens is that the
      sock
      > gets really thin at the heels, which will cause discomfort and blisters.
      So
      > far I haven't seen this problem. I plan on this amount of testing by
      the
      > end of the long term test.
      > According to the Bridgedale website, the socks are made with WoolFusion
      > technology, where a Polypropylene fiber wraps around the wool fiber, which
      > makes the sock more durable. The durability performance that I
      experienced
      > is consistent with this, but I haven't put in enough testing yet to
      really
      > verify this.
      > The socks were warm enough on backpack trips down to 32 degree F (0 C)
      when
      > they were wet and day hikes down to 20 degree F (-7 C).
      > As reported in the Initial Report, the socks are a bit large. My feet are
      > size 12 U.S. These socks are size L which Bridgedale says should fit U.S.
      > 10 to 12.5. If I didn't put my shoes on carefully, there would be
      wrinkles
      > or my heel wouldn't be at the right place on the sock. This has been
      > minor problem - I haven't got any blisters or anything. This might be
      more
      > of a problem for someone with size 10 U.S. feet, for example.
      >
      > SUMMARY
      >
      > The Bridgedale Endurance Trekker socks are high quality socks for
      > backpacking. I prefer them to the Merino wool socks I have used in the
      > past.
      > Likes:
      > - Very comfortable
      > - So far, the durability is good
      > Dislikes:
      > - The sizing is a bit off, they're bigger than advertised, but this is
      > fairly minor. I recommend that before purchasing to carefully try on the
      > socks to make sure they're the right size, and not just rely on
      Bridgedale's
      > sizing data, especially if the shoe size is towards the low end of the
      range
      > for the particular sock size.
      >
      > TESTING STRATEGY
      >
      > Do another 100 miles (160 km). Include at least 6 nights of backpacking.
      > I am hoping this will include at least a day well below 32 degree F (0 C).
      > Wash them at least 3 more times.
      > This concludes my Field Report. Long Term Report will be finished by
      March