43411Application: Primus Eta Express - Kathryn

  • Dark Lazarus
    Apr 1 9:59 AM
      Please accept my application to test the Primus Eta Express stove. I
      have read the Survival Guide v.0609 and my tester agreement is on
      file.

      Application to test the Primus Eta Express stove

      Personal Information:
      Name: Kathryn Doiron
      Age: 31
      Gender: Female
      Height: 1.7 m (5' 8")
      Weight: 68 kg (150 lb)
      Email: kdoiron 'at' gmail 'dot' com
      Location: Washington, DC, USA

      Brief Background:
      I started backpacking and hiking seriously almost five years ago. Most
      of my miles have been logged in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. I
      have recently finished 1200+ miles (1930+ km) of the Appalachian
      trail. My style is to be as light as possible while not spending a
      fortune. My pack weight tends to hover around 20lbs (9 kg) with food
      for 2-3 days. I'm still new to winter camping, but I recently just
      started getting into kayak camping.

      Test Plan:
      As the DC area moves into spring, the weather becomes warm and humid
      with some cold driving rains. Which means equal parts muddy trails,
      and puddles, with dry rocks and leaves. I am interested in testing
      this stove as I have never used a canister type stove before and have
      been curious. I am interested in seeing if they are as easy to use as
      they seem. Are they stable, especially with a loaded pot on top. Is
      the stove easy to screw into the canister. Can the stove be left
      screwed to the canister during storage. How does the wind screen
      attach. Does it snap into place or is there a ring it hangs from. It
      is adjustable on the fly while the stove it running. Does it get hot.
      If it does get hot, how long does it take to cool down after use.

      My normal mode of cooking at camp is to heat up water, dump into a bag
      and rehydrate some freezer bag cooking. On a few occasions I will go
      all out and fry up some sausage with green pepper and cook rice for a
      larger more hearty meal. Will the 1L pot be able to hold enough food
      for 1-2 people. How full can the pot be filled before the possibility
      of boil overs. Does the stove put out enough heat to bring the
      contents of the pot to a full boil. How snugly does the lid fit.
      Does the pot come with a pouring spout. Will the pot make a good mug
      if the occasion calls for a mug. Does the pot have anything attached
      to the bottom. If so, how will this affect the pot when resting on a
      flat surface. How tall is the pot. Will it be possible to eat
      directly from the pot or will it be hard to get food out of the bottom
      of the pot. Will food burn to the bottom due to the depth of the pot.
      Can the pot be safely stirred with a spoon to prevent scorching.
      Does the pot have a titanium surface or is it coated. I have heard
      cheese loves to stick to titanium, will I find this be the case when
      cooking cheesy dinners. How hard will it be to clean the pot after a
      cooked meal. Does the pot have a rounded corner or a square corner at
      the bottom. Does the handle of either the pot or lid get hot when
      heated. Will the rubber layer keep the handles cool enough to handle
      safely.

      The whole setup is designed to fit into the pot when not in use. Is
      there some mechanism to keep the lid attached to the pot to prevent
      items from falling out. Will placing the canister in the pot cause
      scratching on the titanium non stick surface. Will any resulting
      scratches form rust. If there is any moisture left in the pot will it
      cause the canister to rust. Does the pot accommodate both the large
      and small canister. How well will the stove work in cool or cold
      weather. I don't anticipate temperatures below freezing anymore but
      if I should encounter any I will be interested in how the stove
      performs.

      My testing plan will include testing the Primus stove in the backyard
      to become comfortable with the controls and to run a few benchmarking
      tests. I will be backpacking sections of the Appalachian trail and
      Shenandoah park region which offers challenging hikes and many
      opportunities to do overnights and longer hikes. I am now a member of
      several local hiking/backpacking/kayaking meetups and there are always
      trips planned to join in on. I have at least one major weekend trip
      planned per month with day hikes scattered around. I also go on
      kayaking overnight trips that require the use of backpacking
      equipment. As I am currently taking over as head organizer, I am
      planning many trips out this year to drum up support. I also plan on
      running moon hikes and will be able to use the stove to make hot
      chocolate for people who are interested. In April and May, I have 2
      three day trips and two day trips tentatively planned for Virginia,
      and South Carolina.

      I welcome the opportunity to test the Primus Eta Express stove. I am
      also applying for the LuxuryLite Koozy Kitchen. I have a slight
      preference towards the Primus stove.

      Previous Reports:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dark11lazarus

      Currently Testing: