      Country: USA
      Date: January 31, 2008

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my wife Jenn and/or brother-in-law Dave.

      Test plan

      I have never applied for sunglasses before as I wear them in the
      winter for the most part and the calls usually come in summer. One
      thing made me sit up and take notice of these glasses. They come with
      a set of lenses that includes clear.

      Winter backpacking involves a lot of things that mess with my eyes.
      Glare from the sun on the snow and ice being the biggest. Snow
      blowing hard in my eyes is another. Snow blowing when heavy cloud
      cover takes away the light (or when the sun is not up) makes for a
      real problem as my glacier glasses are impossible to see through in
      low (or no) light. I have often wished for a pair of clear lenses in
      a protective pair of glasses. My reading glasses do not work as they
      do not have the coverage needed. Wind and snow just blow in. The
      clear lenses that come with the Numas are UV filtering much like a
      camera filter so even though I am wearing them on a cloudy day I will
      know that the UV that is still beaming through those floating cotton
      balls will not be destroying my eyes. (Just my face… oh well it adds
      character, right?) But mainly I see using them in early morning
      starts or night ascents.

      I would use the low-light orange in overcast conditions. Hopefully
      they will allow enough light in to see comfortably. I have used
      orange and yellow lenses in the past in goggles for this use.

      It has a reflective set of lenses that work (in my experience) well
      in very bright conditions, like mid-day on a glacier, or in the
      middle of a snow field. Or just in summer on a hot trail, or the
      beach here at home.

      It also comes with a set of polarized lenses. I would most likely use
      these to drive with as I would see if it does a good job of cutting
      out window glare and reflection.

      If chosen to test these I will try all the lenses in some pretty
      tough conditions. My findings shall be dully noted.

      Numa is known for the durability of their frames. While I will not
      try tying them in a knot I will see how they stand up to the general
      abuse of backpacking. I had a pair of Varnet glasses fall off one
      time and they broke in half in the middle. Last year I pulled some
      other expensive glasses out of my pack to find that one arm had
      broken off the frame. Wonderful. Will these glasses really live up to
      the toughness claims? Let me find out.

      Will they stay put? I would be very sad to have them fall off while
      summiting a snow and ice covered mountain to watch them slide away a
      couple thousand vertical feet. Should that happen I will write about
      it as soon as the sun-blindness goes away…

      They are vented. Will they work to keep the glasses from fogging up
      when I am generating heat from exertion on a frigid day?

      Will they be comfortable to wear for days on end? If the conditions
      warrant it I could be in them from the time I leave my tent before
      dawn to the time I crawl back into my sleeping bag at the end of the
      day.

      Oh yeah! If I am picked up by an ET for probing will they keep the
      bright lights from bothering my eyes too much? Oh wait, I guess I
      will be on my stomach for that, huh? In that case will it hide my
      tears…?

      Field Conditions and Test Locations

      I would expect to get this in time to use for at least two multi-day
      snow trips, maybe three. We are in Mt San Jacinto and Mt San Gorgonio
      areas all the time. We now have a three day summit trip scheduled for
      the beginning of February.

      Depending on when it ships and the test runs until it could see use
      on Mt Shasta in early June as four of us will be trying it again.

      I am in Moorhead Minnesota (Fargo ND) every month where there is
      always lots of high winds and blowing snow.

      I will also use it skiing at local resorts.

      The conditions expected will run from lows of 10 F (-12 C) in the
      local mountains, 5 F (-15 C) in the Sierra and -20 F (-29 C) or
      colder in MN.

      I have 3 tests in progress at this time, with another expected to
      ship soon. The Dub parka will end next month.

      I have no outstanding applications.

      My involvement with BGT includes active duty as a Test Manager, Test
      Monitor, Mentor and Owner Review Editor.

      I have completed 20 test series.

      I have written 80 Owner Reviews.

      My reports and reviews can be found at;
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella

      Thank you very much for your consideration of this application.