37829APPLICATION TO TEST - High Sierra Sentinel 65 Backpack - Tim Tessier

  • Tim Tessier
    Oct 1, 2007
      Please find my application to test the High Sierra Sentinel 65
      backpack below:

      APPLICATION TO TEST – High Sierra Sentinel 65 Backpack

      Please consider my application to test the High Sierra Sentinel 65
      Backpack. I have recently read the By-Laws (v. 0609) and will comply
      with all. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Personal Information:
      Tim Tessier
      Age: 50
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 2" (1.9 Meters)
      Weight: 220 lb (100 Kg)
      Email Address: timothy_tessier@...
      Located in: Greensboro NC USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I hiked as a child with my father and started hiking with my son 8
      years ago when he was eight years old. We now routinely take 20 mile
      weekend hikes (two nights) approximately once a month year round.
      Additionally, we take one, five to seven day extended trip each
      summer. Most of our hiking is done in NC, southern VA, TN, KY, and
      WV. We go regardless of weather so we have experience in all types
      of conditions. We do not tend to travel very light, with a typical
      pack weight of 25 lb (11.3 kg) exclusive of food.

      Additional Information relevant to this test:
      As stated above, we take two night weekend hikes year round. These
      hikes are generally in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in
      North Carolina and Tennessee at elevations up to 6,000 ft. (1,829m),
      or in southern VA in areas such as Mt. Rogers National Recreation
      Area. We will be hiking as much and as often as possible throughout
      the fall and winter months.

      Reasons I would particularly like to participate in this test:
      As stated above we plan to hike at least one weekend a month, year
      round. We don't tend to travel light and I like to have a pack that
      will support a week's load of summer weight gear, or compress well to
      stabilize a weekend load. I also like external attach points for
      items such as tent poles or trekking poles.

      I currently use a Kelty Redcloud 5600. I like a pack that has
      pockets, webbing loops, and other features to help me keep things
      organized. Without looking I can sit here now and tell you what
      items are in what pocket in my pack. All of this organization,
      however, comes with a price. This price is weight. At 4.8 lbs this
      pack is significantly lighter than my current pack, while slightly
      larger. I am anxious to test the impact of this trade-off between
      weight and organization. As I've said before, I'm not a light
      packer. This is the size and type of pack that I desire and
      regularly use.

      I will use all features of this pack included the integrated rain-
      cover and the hydration compatibility. Additonally, we will be
      enjoying warm weather for a little longer so I will be able to test
      the air-flow touted for the back panel.

      Test Plan:
      As stated above, we have a number of trips planned for this year.
      These include trips to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Mt.
      Rogers Virginia, and Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina. Our
      elevation will range from 500 ft. (152m) to 6500 ft. (1981m).
      Temperatures will range from a high of 85 F (29 C) to a low below

      I will use this pack for our long weekends in the mountains
      throughout the fall and winter. During the time of year we will be
      performing this test we will go from warm weather into cold winter.
      I will be very interested to see if this pack can keep up with the
      increased demands placed on it by the need to carry bulkier, heavier
      winter gear.

      Test Criteria –

      For the initial report I will report on the following:
      General construction
      - The quality of the seams and the stitching
      - Fit and finish of all parts
      - The "adjustability" of the harness system, and how well it
      will conform to my size and body type.
      - Quality of all zippers and connectors, and the usefulness of
      all lashing points.
      - Conformance to specs.

      The field and long-term reports would expand on these points and add:

      - Can the pack provide the necessary organization needed to
      keep things where they belong?
      - Does the suspension system provide a stable platform for
      carrying a load?
      - Is the fabric truly waterproof? Will it keep my gear dry in
      a downpour?
      - Are there convenient places to hang water bottle, GPS, and
      camera on outside of pack for ready access?
      - Does the compression system keep everything compact and in
      its place?
      - Are the adjustable aluminum stays useful.

      - Does the pack still look "like new" after four months of hard
      - Are all zippers and other connectors still in great shape
      after four months?
      - Do the harness connectors stay adjusted or must you
      constantly fiddle with them after some wear and tear?
      - Do the compression straps maintain their ability to remain
      - Do all buckles and zippers stand up to any/all abuse they are
      put through?

      Conclusion: I am experienced with this type of mid-sized pack. I
      have a good idea as to what to expect and can fully test this pack to
      its limits.

      You may find my two OR at:

      Thank you for the opportunity to test new gear. I have already found
      BGT to be an invaluable tool when considering gear purchases. I look
      forward to continuing to contribute the best product reviews I
      possibly can to this outstanding resource.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic