37102IR - Danner 453 GTX Boots - Tim Tessier

  • Tim Tessier
    Sep 3, 2007
      For you editing pleasure, please find my IR on the Danner boots. The
      html version is posted in the test folder. The link is as follows:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Danner%20453\
      %20GTX%20Boots%20-%20Tim%20Tessier/
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Danner%2045\
      3%20GTX%20Boots%20-%20Tim%20Tessier/>

      The text version follows:

      DANNER 453GTX BOOTS
      TEST SERIES BY TIM TESSIER
      IR
      September 01, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Tim Tessier
      EMAIL: timothy_tessier@... <mailto:timothy_tessier@...>
      AGE: 50
      LOCATION: Greensboro NC
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
      WEIGHT: 221 lb (100.00 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I hiked as a child with my father and started
      hiking with my now 16 year old son 8 years ago. We now routinely take
      20 mile weekend hikes (2 nights) approximately once a month year round.
      Additionally, we take one, 5 - 7 day extended trip each summer. Most of
      our hiking is done in North Carolina, southern Virginia, Tennessee,
      Kentucky, and West Virginia. We go regardless of weather so we have
      experience in all types of conditions. We do not tend to travel very
      light, with a typical pack weight of 25 lb (11.3 kg) exclusive of food.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Danner
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.danner.com
      <http://www.danner.com> ">>
      MSRP: US$143.95
      Listed Weight: 48 oz (1361 g)
      Measured Weight: 48oz (1361 g)
      Other details: The Danner 453 GTX (hereafter referred to as Danners)
      are Danners newest mid-weight hikers. They feature a Nubuck leather
      upper, Gore-Tex lining, and Danner's patented Terra-Force X
      construction. At 3 pounds these boots are in the middle of the range
      for this type of boot.

      The soles feature an aggressive lug design and a clear X design that
      begins at the widest part of the boot at the front part of the foot,
      crosses under the arch, and finishes at the back of the heel. The soles
      of the boot are approximately 1/2" wider at the heel than the upper.
      This little bit of extra sole is apparently designed to increase
      stability.

      The insoles are manufactured from polyurethane and have a stiff center
      section that resembles a "custom" footbed such as Smartfeet. This
      insole provides additional protection and support for a hiker carrying a
      load.

      These boots feature a "scuff-proof" rubber toe cap. The Gore-Tex lining
      is sewn in such a way that it joins at the front underneath the tongue.
      This lining forms a complete booty which should be effective in
      repelling water.

      The laces are round, not flat. There are 5 hook-rings on each side and
      1 quick release hook per side at the top around the neck of the boot.

      The Danner brand-name is branded on the leather toungue of the boot and
      emblazoned on the back as well.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Danner's come in a plain cardboard box with some hang tags on the
      right boot and a product registration card enclosed. There are no care
      instructions or any other product specific information in the box.

      The boots seem to be immaculately constructed. All seams are double
      stitched. The hook-rings are nice and tight. Every seam seems very
      even and uniform. There are no gaps around the sole. I am unable to
      find any bubbles or rough seams on the inside of the boot whatsoever.

      There is a seam running from side-to-side across the boot which crosses
      approximately at the widest part of the foot. This seam obviously is
      designed to keep the boot snug down across the top of the foot,
      preventing your toes from jamming down in the end of the boot while
      going downhill.

      When they first arrived the boots were quite stiff. The soles are heavy
      duty, and seem to be more than adequately constructed. They have heavy
      lugs and an aggressive tread design.

      The insoles are removable but feature significant arch support as well
      as a stiffer middle area. This is designed to provide additional
      protection against rough surfaces as well as additional stability.

      TRYING THEM OUT

      I have worn the boots twice so far. I wore them yesterday for about a
      three mile walk on sidewalks and around the house. This was in an
      effort to break them in prior to a longer hike in them today. The stiff
      construction did require some break-in time.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Detail of the
      excellent workmanship">>

      The boots provide wonderful support but, as I would expect, don't give
      you the cushy feel on pavement I would expect from a pair of sneakers.
      I noticed on this initial walk that these boots do not really provide a
      "rocker" motion as some do. Rather, your step feels somewhat flat.

      Wearing the socks that I normally do (thin sock liners, and a pair of
      wool socks) the boots were somewhat snug across the top of my foot. As
      a point of fact, the right one felt considerably more snug than the
      left. I stopped several times and adjusted the laces but still had that
      snug feeling to the point of being uncomfortable on my right foot.

      When I returned from the initial walk I left the boots on and wore them
      around the house, and on some errands for the rest of the day. Today we
      took about a six mile hike in varied conditions in Stone Mountain State
      Park in North Carolina. Initially, this morning I noticed that the
      break-in the previous day had the desired effect. The right boot felt
      comfortable when I first put it on, and for the entire day.

      First we climbed approximately 800 feet (244 m) in 1.7 miles (2.74 km).
      This was on a dry dirt trail which then gave over to slickrock. As I
      climbed the traction exhibited by the Danners was excellent. I never
      slipped, even while climbing a very steep slickrock abuttment with a
      generous sprinkling of dry pine needles on it. After a break for lunch
      (and pictures) we traversed the top of the slickrock mountaintop and
      began down a longer 2.8 mile (4.51 km) trail back to the parking lot.

      As we walked down a series of steep switchbacks I noticed that my toes
      did not jam down to the toes of the boots. I felt no slippage in the
      heels, while climbing or descending, and while they were certainly snug,
      they were not uncomfortably so.

      On the way back we took a side trail to a waterfall. This side trail
      presented several opportunities to cross small streams by rock hopping
      across damp, moss covered rocks. Again, I was very aware of the
      excellent traction afforded by the Danners and felt extremely
      sure-footed.

      When we got back to the cars we had completed a 6 mile (9.6 km) circuit,
      with the aforementioned elevation change. In short, my feet felt great.
      They were hot and sweaty from hiking on a 90 F (32 C) day but,
      essentially, they felt great.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I am fortunate to have these boots to use during the best possible time
      of year to test boots in the southern Appalachian mountains. Now it is
      hot and very dry. However, the weather will soon be turning cool and
      will (hopefully) become much more rainy. By the end of October the
      weather will be cool (below freezing at night in the mountains) and
      damp. By the end of the full testing period in December we will be
      hiking in snow and below freezing temperatures all times of day.

      I will be using these boots on long weekend hikes in all conditions
      throughout the testing period. I will start out using them with shorts
      (as I did today) and finish up using them with fleece pants, rain pants,
      and gaiters. Throughout the test period we will document the trail
      type, the weather conditions, and any/all other factors that will affect
      the performance of the boots.

      SUMMARY

      So far, I am very impressed with these boots. The quality construction
      is evident and they have "broken-in" fairly quickly.

      I am very anxious to fully test the limits of their capabilities.

      Check this space in two months for a more complete report.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.