Did Someone Say "Octopus"?

  • Clinton Bauder
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
      Mike and Chuck's description of their New Years Dive with the giant octo
      was quite entertaining, all the more so since Sami, Kati and I had a
      somewhat similar experience, albeit a bit further north. We were in BC on
      the Nautilus Explorer diving the Nanaimo area. Of course we did a
      midnight dive at a site called Octo Wall. The spot was well named as it
      turned out. We found a big octo within a few minutes of descending and
      spent quite a bit of time playing with it. Sami even handed it our
      Champagne bottle. I wasn't sure he'd get it back but the octo didn't seem
      all that reluctant to give it up. Evidence suggests they like cameras
      better! Besides, the good bubbly was back on the boat. I hope the octo
      didn't think we were rude hosts!

      Anyway after some fun with the octo we opened the bottle and drank the
      champagne underwater.

      If you have the bandwidth you can see my video of the proceedings (all 25
      MB of it) at:

      http://www.metridium.com/movies/octonewyear.html

      Happy New Year!

      Clinton

      Clinton Bauder Apple Computer, Inc.
      Underwater Film Producer 1 Infinite Loop
      I/O Technologies Group Mail Stop 306-3FW
      gecko1@... Cupertino, CA 95014
      http://www.metridium.com 408 974-3237
    • Ian Puleston
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
        Superb video Clinton.

        However, what's the secret to drinking from the champagne bottle upside
        down? Are you blowing air back in to replace the drunk bubbly?

        Ian

        (P.S. The HTML link didn't work (with IE 6 in Windows XP) but I
        downloaded the .mov from http://www.metridium.com/movies OK).
      • Clinton Bauder
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
          >However, what's the secret to drinking from the champagne bottle upside
          >down? Are you blowing air back in to replace the drunk bubbly?

          Yes, you blow bubbles back into the bottle.