8AUG12 Pt Lobos, CA Whalers Cove

  • Bill Winter
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8 7:28 PM
      Date - 8AUG12
      Location - Pt Lobos, Whaler's Cove
      Dive Buddy - Tim J. (SJ Flipper Dippers)
      Time In- 09:52
      Time Out- 10:27
      Max Depth- 47 Feet
      Average Vis- 25-30 feet
      Temp 52 degrees on my Suunto (49 on Tim's dive computer)
      Lots of kelp and sea life out and about.

      This was my first dive at Pt. Lobos and it was AWESOME! Thanks to Tim J suggesting the site and for signing me off on one of my check off dives for the San Jose Flipper Dippers. I moved up to the Bay Area and have been itching to dive as much as I did in San Diego. Since there were no reservations needed, we had no problem getting into the park to dive. There were only one other group diving and one boat getting ready to launch.

      We had phenomenal conditions. The sun was just coming out as we were starting our dive at the boat ramp. Kicked out along the sand channel, took a bearing on Cannery Point and went down. Tim was shooting lots of video and I was in awe of Pt Lobos. We kicked out toward Coal Chute Point.We had outstanding visibility and never felt cold during the dive. We kicked back in along the sand channel. We surfaced once, got a bearing on the boat ramp and did a short sub-kelp dive. We got back just as it was starting to get busy with the hikers and tourists.

      It was one of the best dives I have done in the last 20 years.

      Bill Winter