Re: [ba_diving] Shark incident June 2006

  • matt@underwaterdivers.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
      Interesting...

      If you look at the Global Shark Attack File page, it has the following description:

      No Injury- Shark Bit Scuba Tank Boot

      Call me crazy, but it would be an interesting trick to see the shark biting your tank boot (unless this was seen by the buddy), and not know that it in theory got you somewhere else....Also, for that to have happened, it would have to have been a pretty large shark to be able to grab on to the boot.

      I am wondering if by chance this was a new diver to the area who has not previously had the aquaintenance of Spot... 8=)

      Matt
      Chuck Tribolet <triblet@...> wrote: Fresno, not Freson.

      Kan't type.

      Chuck Tribolet
      triblet@...
      http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

      Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

      Chuck Tribolet wrote:
      > AnyWho lists two Jon Piatts in Freson. Let your fingers
      > do the walking.
      >

      > Chuck Tribolet
      > triblet@...
      > http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet
      >
      > Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.
      >

      > Ishie Sancho wrote:
      >> Weird... it's listed in the stats, but there's no entry on the Pacific Coast Shark News for it.
      >>
      >> Ishie
      >>
      >> Chris Latam <dogma1969@...> wrote:
      >> I had a call from a friend asking if I had heard anything about a shark
      >> attack by the Monterey Plaza Hotel Beach recently.
      >>
      >> I did some trolling on the internet and could not find much more than a
      >> mention of it in a couple lists
      >> (http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/2000.htm) and a few details but
      >> not the full story.
      >>
      >> 17-Jun-2006 USA California Monterey, Monterey County
      >> Scuba diving Jon Piatt M 43 No injury,
      >> shark bit scuba tank boot 11h10 R. Collier
      >> (http://www.sharkattackfile.net/incidentlog.htm)
      >>
      >> Does anyone know more about this or have a link to a full-story about
      >> the incident?
      >>
      >> Thanks!
      >>
      >> Chris Latam

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Matt Whitman
      matt@...

    • Chuck Tribolet
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
        Spot (harbor seal) grabs fins, not tanks.

        And Google indicates that Jon Piatt has been around for a while.

        Chuck Tribolet

        matt@... wrote:
        > Interesting...
        >
        > If you look at the Global Shark Attack File page, it has the following
        >
        > No Injury- Shark Bit Scuba Tank Boot
        >
        > Call me crazy, but it would be an interesting trick to see the shark
        > biting your tank boot (unless this was seen by the buddy), and not know
        > that it in theory got you somewhere else....Also, for that to have
        > happened, it would have to have been a pretty large shark to be able to
        > grab on to the boot.
        >
        > I am wondering if by chance this was a new diver to the area who has not
        > previously had the aquaintenance of Spot... 8=)
        >
        > Matt
        > */Chuck Tribolet <triblet@...>/* wrote:
        >
        > Fresno, not Freson.
        >
        > Kan't type.
        >
        > Chuck Tribolet
        > triblet@... <mailto:triblet%40garlic.com>
        > http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet
        > <http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet>
        >
        > Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.
        >
        > Chuck Tribolet wrote:
        > > AnyWho lists two Jon Piatts in Freson. Let your fingers
        > > do the walking.
        > >

        > > Chuck Tribolet
        > > triblet@... <mailto:triblet%40garlic.com>
        > > http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet
        > <http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet>
        > >
        > > Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.
        > >

        > > Ishie Sancho wrote:
        > >> Weird... it's listed in the stats, but there's no entry on the
        > Pacific Coast Shark News for it.
        > >>
        > >> Ishie
        > >>
        > >> Chris Latam <dogma1969@... <mailto:dogma1969%40yahoo.com>>
        > wrote:
        > >> I had a call from a friend asking if I had heard anything about
        > a shark
        > >> attack by the Monterey Plaza Hotel Beach recently.
        > >>
        > >> I did some trolling on the internet and could not find much more
        > than a
        > >> mention of it in a couple lists
        > >> (http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/2000.htm
        > <http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/2000.htm>) and a few details but
        > >> not the full story.
        > >>
        > >> 17-Jun-2006 USA California Monterey, Monterey County
        > >> Scuba diving Jon Piatt M 43 No injury,
        > >> shark bit scuba tank boot 11h10 R. Collier
        > >> (http://www.sharkattackfile.net/incidentlog.htm
        > <http://www.sharkattackfile.net/incidentlog.htm>)
        > >>
        > >> Does anyone know more about this or have a link to a full-story
        > about
        > >> the incident?
        > >>
        > >> Thanks!
        > >>
        > >> Chris Latam
        > >>

        > Matt Whitman
        > matt@...
      • Ishie Sancho
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
          So... I can googlestalk him to call him at home and ask him, or wonder why he's not listed under Pacific Coast Shark News when they generally list all shark sightings/encounters/attacks?

          Ishie

          Ishie Sancho wrote:
          > Weird... it's listed in the stats, but there's no entry on the Pacific Coast Shark News for it.
          >
          > Ishie

          Recent Activity

          7
          New Members

          Visit Your Group
          New Message Search
          Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

          Share feedback on the new changes to Groups

          .

        • Bill Wohler
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
            Chuck Tribolet <triblet@...> writes:

            > Spot (harbor seal) grabs fins, not tanks.

            Unless you're talking about a particular seal, Ken Mayer and I had one
            frisky pup grab us both from behind (not at the same time ;-) and nosed
            our tanks and hoses. When it was my turn, I also got a playful nip on
            the shoulder. Their teeth are really big that close up. I rolled and
            said game over and the seal got the message.

            This was at Monastery. There were LOTS of seals in the water that day.
            When we walked out, and looked back into the sea, about 20 heads popped
            out of the water as if to say, Hey! Where are you going?

            We dive in a wonderful place.

            --
            Bill Wohler <wohler@...> http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG ID:610BD9AD