makingwaves,outonaclef,solstice at rose street

  • irinarivkin@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2001
      12/1, Sat. 8pm Acapella Night at Rose Street House of Music
      ~ Making Waves, Solstice, Out on a Clef
      a trio, a quartet, and a sextet will entertain and move you with
      inspiring songs, and intricate harmonies!

      MAKING WAVES
      www.rosestreetmusic.com/makingwaves
      Making Waves, singing out truth in multiple-part harmony! First
      organized around a song Irina Rivkin wrote in support of community
      radio station KPFA's struggle, this original women's vocal ensemble
      continued, in a variety of incarnations, to inspire audiences through
      it's powerful lyrics and intricate harmonies. Based in the East
      Bay, they have performed locally and toured the West Coast,
      performing in venues such as Ashkenaz, Kuumbwa Jazz Center, Freight
      and Salvage, East Bay and Humboldt LGBT Pride Celebrations, and La
      Peña. They have shared stages with SONiA, Laura Love, Gwen Avery,
      Rebecca Riots, Margie Adams, Pamela Means, Alice Di Micele, Irene
      Farrera, & Julia Butterfly.
      "When I hear Irina's music, I feel as though I am hearing the voice
      of our ancestors. Deep, inspired, & passionate, her richly textured
      arrangements make the songs both urgent & enduring." (Andrea
      Pritchett of Rebecca Riots)
      For this show, Making Waves is Irina Rivkin, Kim Hoeninghaus, and
      Rebecca Crump. This wave will change form in a few weeks
      (auditioning new member), so tonights concert will be one of the last
      opportunities to hear Making Waves in the current incarnation.

      OUT ON A CLEF

      Out On A Clef is a San Francisco Bay Area lesbian
      vocal a cappella quartet that has been entertaining
      Northern California audiences since 1997 with a
      variety of styles including swing, barbershop, and
      jazz. They are known
      for a blend of polished, tight harmonies performed in
      a unique and whimsical way. They often "de-range"
      their original and standard tunes, with humorous and
      twisted lyrics that poke fun at convention and at
      themselves, as well as conveying socially progressive
      messages. They
      have performed in concerts, festivals, taught classes,
      and headlined in such venues as Josie's Cabaret,
      Theater Rhinoceros, and the Herbst Theater in San
      Francisco. Members are June Bonacich, Jesse Lanou,
      Janet Rachel,
      Janet Rogers.

      Solstice
      bio not available in our mailbox right now, but i can say that
      they're an awesome 6-woman ensemble, amazing voices, interweaving
      harmonies,diverse styles, and plus the group includes regular Rose
      Street performer Krista Enos (of Kim&Krista, a folk-rock duo that's
      performing January 11), who has a clear, sweet, soaring voice.

      Come on out to this show, you won't want to miss it.