Pacific Mozart Ensemble

  • jdhale1arr@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2001
      The Pacific Mozart Ensemble (PME) is starting its 23rd
      season with some very ambitious projects planned, and
      we need strong singers to make it possible. Although
      we do occasional concerts with orchestras, most of our
      repertoire is a cappella, which is why I am posting
      here.

      The featured piece in our all-a-cappella December
      concerts will be the 40-part motet "Spem in Alium" by
      Thomas Tallis. Eight quintets of S, S/A, A/T, Bar, and
      B surround the audience for a spectacular antiphonal
      effect. The quintets are truly independent, and each
      one sings alone from time to time. We could use a
      couple of second basses and some tenors or low altos
      for this.

      Our March concert set commemorates the simultaneous
      75th anniversaries of Charles Lindbergh's flight and
      the opening of the San Francisco International Airport.
      We will perform both at SFO (the museum at the new
      International Terminal), and on the hangar deck of the
      USS Hornet in Alameda. Kurt Weill and Bertolt Brecht
      wrote a piece in the mold of "Mahagonny" for orchestra,
      chorus and solos to celebrate Lindbergh's
      accomplishment. The premiere in 1927 was the first
      intercontinental radio broadcast in history. The
      SF airport, the Hornet, and PME are co-producing the
      concert with help (we hope) from the Kurt Weill
      foundation.

      As always, we conclude the season with the a cappella
      jazz and pop concerts in late May and early June,
      where members form small groups, come up with charts,
      and compete with each other for spots in the show.

      In order to afford these projects, PME is holding a
      fundraising event on Oct. 6 at Bryan Matheson's
      iMusicast studio on Telegraph Avenue in Oakland. The
      best tunes from the past six years of our annual a
      cappella jazz and pop concerts will be performed.
      Normally we sing purely accoustically, but this time,
      we will be miked. There will be excellent food and
      drink donated by local purveyors such as Kermit
      Lynch, Lagunitas Brewing, and Santa Fe Bistro.

      Read about our fundraiser and how to schedule an
      audition at our website www.pacificmozart.org. We
      are already rehearsing, so if you can audition this
      Monday, that would be ideal.

      (Note to BAAC: For comps to the December, March, and
      June concerts, contact me at jdhale1arr@....)