Making Waves Friday at La Pena

  • irinarivkin@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2001
      Irina Rivkin & Making Waves will be doing an all-acappella set Friday
      night at La Pena. more info below. tickets available at the door.
      we're on during the 1st set :o) Erika Luckett, Gwen Avery, and
      Shelley Doty are really amazing so we're excited to be sharing the
      show with them. Hope to see you there!
      ----
      PS one of our members will be moving to Santa Cruz soon :o( so we're
      going to be open to new auditions. call 510-524-3545 for info.
      ------ Here's the FRIDAY show info! -------
      "Rose Street Raw" and "Wildfire" release Extravaganza!
      Women in Musical Community
      Out of la casa and into La Peña!
      GWEN AVERY, IRINA RIVKIN AND MAKING WAVES, ERIKA LUCKETT, SHELLY DOTY
      X-Tet
      May 11, FRIDAY
      La Peña Cultural Center ~ 3105 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley
      510/849-2568: $8-$10
      eclectic mix of original singer/songwriters, sexy humor and gospel
      roots, blues, jazz, rock, and acappella
      MORE INFO: www.rosestreetmusic.com
      This is a partial benefit for community radio station KPFA and the
      Rose Street House of Music, a house concert space and grassroots
      musical community featuring women singer/songwriters

      Gwen Avery
      Acclaimed by reviewers and dj's, and awarded "OUTSTANDING NEW
      RECORDING" 2000 by the New York City based OutMusic
      (www.outsmusic.com) Gwen connects to her audiences and invites
      participation, with her wild sense of sexy humor and gospel roots, no
      one sits still when this soul sister is in the house, What a voice!
      Check out the great photo of Gwen in this months Girl Friends
      magazine.

      Shelley Doty and her X-Tet band are rock & roll in its best
      tradition: they infuse pop, funk, folk, blues, and jazz with a strong
      dose of passion. There is unmistakable talent in Shelley's great
      original songs and masterful Hendrix edged guitar playing.

      Erika was born in Mexico, raised in Brazil and Venezuela, played in
      the
      Paris subways as a teen and spent nine years touring the jazz and
      world
      music circuit with her fusion band, Wild Mango. After three albums, a
      top ten hit on the Latin Jazz charts, and much critical acclaim,
      she's now touring as a solo artist and released her debut solo
      CD "Tinted Glass" on BirdFish Records.

      Irina Rivkin and Making Waves
      express introspective, gutsy originals, ranging from stark, intimate
      solo acappella to multi-layered collaborations, singing out truth in
      multiple-part harmony! "When I hear Irina's music, I feel as though
      I am hearing the voice of our ancestors. Deep, inspired, &
      passionate, her richly textured arrangements make the songs both
      urgent & enduring." (Andrea Pritchett of Rebecca Riots)