Gaelic Song Workshop & Concert, Santa Cruz, 10/20-10/21

  • Tammy L. Heinsohn
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2000
      >>Second Annual Santa Cruz Feis
      >>October 20-21, 2000
      >>St. Johnís Church, 216 Oakland Ave. in Capitola.
      >>
      >>Friday Concert, Oct. 20, 7:30 p.m.: Stunning Gaelic
      >>singer, Rich Hill, winner of the top awards at the
      >>Vancouver and Toronto Mods, will be joined by
      >>Pacific Coastal Scottish fiddling champion
      >>Deby Benton-Grosjean
      >>and graceful step dancer Kathy Wendell.
      >>Suggested donation at the door: $10.
      >>
      >>Gaelic Language and Culture Workshops,
      >>Saturday, October 21:
      >>--Beginning Gaelic Language (9:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m.):
      >>Rich gives an introduction to basic Gaelic conversation
      >>and pronunciation.
      >>
      >>--Intermediate Gaelic Language (10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m.):
      >>More expert instruction for those who already have some
      >>knowledge of the language. Feel free to bring all your
      >>pesky grammar questions.
      >>
      >>--Gaelic Singing for all Levels (1:30-3:00): A rare opportunity
      >>to learn beautiful traditional songs and puirt-a-beaul
      >>(ìmouth musicî) from Scotland. No prior experience with
      >>Gaelic necessary. All levels of singers are welcome.
      >>
      >>--Beginning Cape Breton Step Dancing (3:30-5:00):
      >>New this year! Kathy Wendell of the White Heather Dancers
      >>will teach the fun step dancing style of Cape Breton Island,
      >>an area of eastern Canada known for its rich Scottish culture.
      >>Fiddler Deby Benton-Grosjean will provide the lively tunes.
      >>Wear leather-soled or rubber-soled shoes that are easy to
      >>move in and fit securely. (For ages 10--adult).
      >>
      >>Workshop tickets at the door:
      >>1 workshop $10; Any 2 workshops $15; All-day workshop pass $20.
      >>
      >>This year both the concert and the workshops will be
      >>at St. Johnís Church, 216 Oakland Ave. in Capitola.
      >>Saturday evening ceilidh at a private residence will follow.
      >>
      >>For more information call Janet (831) 465-1585
      >>
      >>This event is sponsored by Community Music School of
      >>Santa Cruz and the Folk Arts Foundation of the Santa
      >>Cruz Mountains.
      Tammy Heinsohn * tammycasa@... * tammyh@...
      (831)425-8595 Home * (831)459-5229 Work * (831)459-3188 Fax
      Contemporary A Cappella Society California Central Coast Ambassador
      Santa Cruz Acappellafest and Talent Showcase (SCATS) Treasurer
      P.O. Box 381 * Santa Cruz, CA 95061-0381
      http://members.aol.com/tammycasa

      OUR MISSION STATEMENT:
      Because we want to provide everyone in our community an opportunity to sing,
      SCATS fosters a cappella music on the central coast.