Harmony Sweepstakes 2000 Finals

  • lavnderlad@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2000
      Here’s a review of the 2000 Harmony Sweepstakes Finals as promised for winning the 2 tickets to the show. First let me say thanks to Michael Olivier for the great seats, 5th row center, couldn’t ask for a better view. Unfortunately I missed the first 3 groups due to transportation trouble (I don’t have a car and I live in S.F.)
      The first group I did catch was Live Wire who won for best arrangement of the evening for Ultimate Pop Band. Great, great song! Loved the humorous lyrics. They did a cover of Billy Idol cover that was to die for. It was very true to the original, with a nice little Elvis twist at the end that put me on the floor laughing. The only thing I could have done without was the show choir type moves, but that’s me.
      The audience favorite of the evening, as well as my own favorite, were the Exboyfriends. These guys have got some great arrangements and put on a great show. Their cover of Led Zepplin’s Ramble On totally rocked and their cover of Phil Collins’ In the Air Tonight was my favorite song of the evening. In lieu of an actual vocal percussionist they had a guy doing drums on his chest and stomach so hard it must have left serious welts. Very original idea though and I’m a big fan of originality.
      The Denver: All-Star Vocal Band were very good also. My friend I brought along isn’t as huge fan of a cappella as I am but he went crazy for their cover of a Journey tune (I think it was Don’t Stop Believing but I can’t remember)
      My most pleasant surprise of the evening was the Perfect Gentlemen. I’m not much of a fan of Barbershop but they ended their set with a 20th Century salute that was fabulous. It had a little of everything: barbershop, rock, rap, blues. Wonderful. Great outfits too by the way.
      Finally, the winners of the evening, Toxic Audio. These guys are really going to go places. They had so much energy and such great arrangements I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face throughout their whole set.
      All and all it was a wonderful evening of a cappella. I’m just bummed I couldn’t convince my friend to stay around for the Afterglow. Thanks again Michael for the tickets.

      Skawt Wells
    • Bryan Matheson
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2000
        Thanks to all who participated in the first ever live webcast of the Harmony
        Sweeps May 6th. If you'd like to see the show again, visit the archives at:

        www.imusicast.com

        You can watch the show in Real Media format, low speed (for 56K modem
        users), and high speed (300K for DSL,cable or T1 users). Windows Media
        format high speed is currently available, and we should have the low speed
        versions up sometime tomorrow.

        Bryan Matheson
        CEO, iMusicast.com