San Francisco men's chorus seeks experienced singers for special Rachmaninoff program

  • John McCarthy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2013

      The Slavyanka Men’s Chorus is just starting to rehearse new repertoire for a fall concert series November 1, 2 and 3, celebrating the 140th and 70th anniversaries of Rachmaninoff’s birth and death. The program will include selected pieces from Rachmaninoff’s “Vespers” and “Liturgy,” (arranged for men’s choir) and his less well known Choral Concerto and several songs and “Romances” for soloists and chorus (performed with Slavyanka’s Women’s Chorus). From the sound of our initial rehearsal last week, it’s going to be a fun and exciting program to sing.

      Rachmaninoff’s rich and complex choral arrangements sometimes have as many as 8 or even 12 parts – so Slavyanka hopes to recruit some more good men singers to give these works the full, rich sound they deserve and to give more men the opportunity to rehearse and perform them with Slavyanka’s extraordinary new Artistic Director, Irina Shachneva.

      If you haven’t experienced singing with Irina, you owe it to yourself come for at least for one rehearsal and experience her deep knowledge and experience with choral music and vocal production, as well as her warm personality and fun sense of humor. You can hear what some of these pieces sound like (and see Irina in action) on videos from the 2nd International Rachmaninoff Russian Music Festival that Irina led in Boston last year at

      http://www.russianmusicfest.ru/multimedia/   (especially the pieces by Rachmaninoff)

      Slavyanka is one of the premier Men’s Slavic choruses in the United States. Featuring folk songs, liturgical pieces, ballads and artistic songs from Russia and neighboring countries, Slavyanka excels at capturing the immense dynamic and emotional range of Russian music.

      For more information about Slavyanka, see our web site at http://www.slavyanka.org/

      We still rehearse Tuesday nights from 7:30 to 10pm in the social hall at St. John the Baptist Serbian Orthodox Church (parking lot on the north side of Turk Street between Broderick and Baker in San Francisco). There are carpools from the peninsula, east bay and Marin County.

      If you’re interested, please send email to concerts@... to let us know if you’d like one of us to call you, when you might come (so we can have music and Irina can make time to hear your voice), and whether you’d like to connect with one of our carpools.

      Please pass this note along to any other men you think might enjoy this opportunity to sing Rachmaninoff’s deeply moving music with an outstanding choral conductor.

      We hope to hear from you and see you soon.

      Donn Davy, President

      Paul Andrews, Founding Conductor

      John McCarthy, Co-Founder