Extraordinary Slavyanka concert program next weekend ! (kids under 12 free)

  • John McCarthy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2013

      Slavyanka Bay Area Russian Chorus Presents…

       “Roots and Branches” Spring Concert Series

      May 31, June 1 and June 2 in Palo Alto, Lafayette and Tiburon

      Slavyanka rehearsals during the past two weeks have been electric with excitement as we have begun to sing through our upcoming concert program in its entirety --  with Slavyanka’s traditional men’s choir, augmented by Slavyanka alumni, our new Slavyanka women’s ensemble, the Russian folkloric ensemble “Kostroma,” and a special quartet of French horns.

      It’s a musical feast for singers and audience alike that you won’t want to miss.

      Our inspiring new Artistic Director Irina Schachneva has created an amazing program of  old and new Russian choral music, ranging from ancient chants and folk songs to modern works by Rachmaninov, Stravinsky’s powerful “Four Peasant Songs,” and the American premiere of “Death and Life” by contemporary Moscow composer Valery Kalistratov.

      “Four Peasant Songs,” which Stravinsky wrote in 1917 and updated in 1954 to include French horns, reflects his musical roots in the world of popular Russian folk music idioms. These same roots are reflected in Stravinsky’s later ballet “Les Noces,” which the San Francisco Symphony will feature in a program later this June with Michael Tilson Thomas and the internationally acclaimed Dmitri Pokrovsky Ensemble from Moscow.

      Come hear the music of these compelling Russian modern composers – and the ancient sacred and folk music traditions from which they drew their musical inspiration.

      For more about Slavyanka and its new Artistic Director, see www.slavyanka.org

      Concert Dates, Locations, and Tickets

      Friday, May 31, 8 PM, St. Marks Episcopal Church, 600 Colorado Street, PALO ALTO

      Saturday, June 1, 7:30 PM, Lafayette-Orinda Presbyterian Church, 49 Knox Drive, LAFAYETTE

      Sunday, June 2, 4 PM, Westminster Presbyterian Church, 240 Tiburon Blvd, TIBURON

      Tickets available online at www.slavyanka.org, from Slavyanka members, or at the door

      Reserved Front Rows: $25 in advance/$30 door

      General Admission: $20 in advance/$25 door

      Seniors & Students: $15 in advance/$20 door

      Kids under 12 Free!

      For group discounts or more information, please contact Paul Andrews at paulandrews@... , or 510-798-7966.