"Our American Heritage" in Campbell, San Francisco and Palo Alto

  • Mary Holzer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2013
      "Our American Heritage"

      Presented by Bay Choral Guild, Sanford Dole, Artistic Director

      BCG tours American music, from Colonial days to the present, spotlighting the best music from our cultural history! In the first half we’ll sing a cappella works from the 18th to the 21st centuries by composers working in the “classical” tradition. After intermission, we’ll let our hair down and perform hits from a wide variety of American popular genres, accompanied by Tim Getz, BCG’s wonderful accompanist, on virtuoso piano.

      Performance Dates and Locations:

      Friday, June 7, 8:00 pm
      Campbell United Methodist Church
      1675 Winchester Blvd, Campbell

      Saturday, June 8, 8:00 pm
      St Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church
      500 De Haro Street, San Francisco

      Sunday, June 9, 4:30 pm.
      First Baptist Church of Palo Alto
      305 North California Ave, Palo Alto

      Our American Heritage tickets are available from your favorite chorister, online or at the door of each concert location.
      General $25, Senior $20, Student $5

      There will be a preview lecture 30 minutes before the start of each concert.

      Most of the music on the program (http://baychoralguild.org/concert/) will be familiar to you, with no introduction needed for the a cappella works of Aaron Copeland, and the sets by Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Foster and Richard Rogers. And you are probably familiar with Eric Whitacre's unearthly Sleep, and Samuel Barber's highly emotional Reincarnations. Clearly we're thoroughly enjoying our rehearsals!

      We are also having a wonderful time singing earlier and less familiar American vocal works. Our opener, Modern Musik by William Billings is just plain fun and Hymn to Music by Dudley Buck has all the depth and complexity you would expect from a composer who is referred to as the father of American organ music. Although Charles Ives and Amy Beach were contemporaries, Sixty-Seventh Psalm (Ives) and Peace I Leave With You (Beach) could not be more different. And The Best of Rooms, considered one of Randall Thompson's finest sacred works, is a wonderful, soaring, a cappella gem.

      Last but not least, our closing sets Let's Dance by Irving Berlin, Billy Strayhorn's Take the A Train, the signature tune for Duke Ellington's orchestra, and Elijah Rock by Moses Hogan will certainly set your toes tapping!

      Mark your calendars for an exciting, highly enjoyable journey through American Music! Sanford Dole, BCG artistic director, will set the stage with a pre-concert lecture half an hour before the concert. And remember that this concert will also include our annual Donor and Audience Appreciation Receptions. These events are our opportunity to let you know how much we appreciate your attendance and support! So please join us for wonderful music and great food from the BCG cooks! It's going to be a wonderful event!