San Francisco Lyric Chorus Summer 2013 Auditions: Brahms Requiem

  • Helene Whitson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2013
      San Francisco Lyric Chorus Summer 2013 Auditions: Brahms Requiem The San Francisco Lyric Chorus, under the direction of Music Director, Robert Gurney, invites singers to join us for our Summer 2013 trimester. We have openings in all parts.

      Altos, Tenors and Basses especially are needed.

      Program:   Johannes Brahms:  Ein Deutsches Requiem

      Rehearsals begin Monday, May 13, 2013

      Rehearsals are held on Monday nights from 7:15-9:45 p.m. in the:
      Chapel
      Trinity Episcopal Church
      1620 Gough Street (between Austin and Bush Streets)
      San Francisco

      To arrange for an audition (ability to blend and sing in tune, some sight reading skill expected) or obtain further information, contact Music Director Robert Gurney at 415-721-4077 or rgurney@....  For further information about us, check our website at http://www.sflc.org

      Our concerts will be held on Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 5 p.m.

      For some, Brahms’ Ein Deutsches Requiem ranks as his greatest compositional achievement, even though he wrote most of it between 1865 and 1867, mid-way through his career.  Its gentle profundity affects all who hear it, and it is one of the most beloved of the great choral masterpieces.

      We invite you to join us in experiencing this incredible musical reflection on life, death, and humanity.

      Formed in 1995, San Francisco Lyric Chorus is an auditioned, medium-sized, mixed-voice chorus that performs a diverse repertoire with an emphasis on classical choral music and rarely performed works. We are an inclusive and welcoming community of singers, committed to excellent musicianship and creative programming.  The Chorus has featured performances of works by such composers as Berlioz, Mozart, Bach, Haydn, Schubert, Brahms, Fauré, Dufay, Josquin, Bernstein, Gjeilo, Howells, Pärt, Tavener, Lauridsen, Verdi, Britten, Whitacre, Dvorák, Kodály, Corigliano, and San Francisco composer Kirke Mechem, as well as our 10th Anniversary commissioned work, Illinois composer Lee R. Kesselman's This Grand Show Is Eternal and the December 2009 World Premiere of Robert Train Adams’ Christmas Fantasy.

      We have a wonderful sense of community and enjoy making music together and sharing it with our audiences. We would like to meet you!

      Helene Whitson
      President, San Francisco Lyric Chorus
      Co-Author, San Francisco Bay Area Chorus Directory
      Founder, San Francisco Bay Area Choral Archive
      1824 Arch Street
      Berkeley, California  94709
      510-849-4689
      hwhitson@...
      http://www.choralarchive.org
      http://www.sflc.org
    • Helene Whitson
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2013
        San Francisco Lyric Chorus Summer 2013 Auditions: Brahms Requiem The San Francisco Lyric Chorus, under the direction of Music Director, Robert Gurney, invites singers to join us for our Summer 2013 trimester. We have openings in all parts.

        Sopranos, Tenors and Basses especially are needed.

        Program:   Johannes Brahms:  Ein Deutsches Requiem