APRIL 23: "How Can We Keep From Singing!" at Davies Symphony Hall - Singers Marin 25th Anniversary Concert

  • SingersMarin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2013

      Singers Marin, under the direction of Marin Women's Hall of Fame 2013 inductee, Jan Pedersen Schiff, presents: 25th Anniversary Concert: "How Can We Keep from Singing?", featuring the music of Gwyneth Walker and Stravinsky’s Symphony of Psalms.

      GUEST CHORUSES:
      Branson High School Chamber Singers
      Golden Gate Men's Chrous
      Voci Women's Vocal Ensemble

      FEATURED ORCHESTRA:
      Mill Valley Philharmonic

      PROGRAM:
      Felix Mendelssohn/arr.Kenneth Neufeld:  On Wings of Song– Singers Marin Women’s Chorus
      Patti Drennan:  We Are the Music-Makers – Singers Marin Women’s Chorus
      Gwyneth Walker:  The Youthful Traveler  - West Coast Premier – Singers Marin Women’s Chorus
      Free Spirit ~ Arise, and Come Away! ~ Back and Forth on the Ferry
      Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  Never Sit Down (from "The Spirit of Women")- Singers Marin Teen Girls Ensemble
      Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  The Whole World (In His Hands)- Singers Marin Combined Youth Choruses
      Gwyneth Walker:  White Horses – Branson High School Chamber Singers
      Gwyneth Walker:  If Ever Two Were One – Singers Marin A Cappella Mixed Vocal Ensemble
      Gwyneth Walker:  Crossing the Bar – Golden Gate Men’s Chorus
      Gwyneth Walker:  The Tree of Peace - Voci Women’s Vocal Ensemble
      Gwyneth Walker:  Love is a Rain of Diamonds – Voci Women’s Vocal Ensemble
      Gwyneth Walker:  I Thank You God  (poem: E.E. Cummings)- Singers Marin Women’s Chorus
      Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  The Gospel Ship (Traditional) – World Premier – Singers Marin Women’s and Youth Choruses
      Samuel Barber:  Overture to "The School for Scandal," Op.5- Mill Valley Philharmonic
      Josu Elberdin:  Cantate Domino- Golden Gate Men’s Chorus
      Igor Stravinsky:  Symphony of Psalms- Combined Singers Marin & Guest Ensembles
      Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  How Can I Keep From Singing- Combined Singers Marin & Guest Ensembles

      DATE/TIME/PLACE:
      Tuesday, April 23, 2013
      7:30pm
      Davies Symphony Hall
      201 Van Ness Ave
      San Francisco

      TICKETS:
      General: $25 - $100
      VIP tickets include post-concert reception with composer, Gwyneth Walker
      For ticket purchase visit the City Box Office website: www.cityboxoffice.com
      Contact:  (415) 383-3712; singers@...

      Enjoy an elegant evening of choral entertainment and support the arts! Please mark your calendars for this very special concert on APRIL 23:  How Can We Keep from Singing!  The performance will host a variety of choral groups and will feature a newly commissioned piece by Gwyneth Walker written specifically for this concert that commemorates 25 years of wonderful music brought to the community by Singers Marin under the leadership of Artistic Director, Jan Pedersen Schiff.  SingersMarin is celebrating 25 years of bringing musical joy to the community and invites you to share in this experience.  Guest ensembles include:  Branson High School Chamber Singers, Golden Gate Men's Chorus, Voci Women’s Vocal Ensemble, and the Mill Valley Philharmonic.

      Singers Marin’s youth and adult ensembles along with the guest choirs will each perform selected works by Gwyneth Walker.  In addition, our guest orchestra, the Mill Valley Philharmonic, will perform a chosen work of their own, followed by Stravinsky’s “Symphony of Psalms” with 200 singers from the combined Singers Marin and guest adult and teen choruses.  Igor Stravinsky described his choral/orchestral works:  “It is not a symphony in which I have included Psalms to be sung.  On the contrary, it is the singing of the Psalms that I am symphonizing.”  Our conductor, Jan Pedersen Schiff reflects:  “This composition is one of the most profoundly spiritual pieces I have ever sung in my life”, and she looks forward to conducting and sharing this experience with the singers and the audience.

      Be part of this special event and meet our guest composer, Gwyneth Walker at two special receptions, one before the event at a lovely Tiburon home and also after the concert by making a donation to help us underwrite the costs of this Gwyneth Walker’s commission and the anniversary concert. Visit our website at www.singersmarin.org to donate now.

      Appropriately, the concert will close with Gwyneth Walker's powerful arrangement of the Quaker hymn, "How Can I Keep from Singing!"  A reception for donors and those who purchase the $100 tickets will follow with the composer in the beautiful Wattis Room at Davies.  We hope you will join us in this post-concert celebration by making a donation toward our 25th anniversary season or purchasing your tickets through the City Box Office website or by calling 415-392-4400.

      Singers Marin
      P.O. Box 2102
      Mill Valley, CA 94942
      415-383-3712