APRIL 23: "How Can We Keep From Singing!" at Davies Symphony Hall - Singers Marin 25th Anniversary Concert

  • SingersMarin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22 11:11 AM

      Singers Marin, under the direction of Marin Women's Hall of Fame 2013 inductee, Jan Pedersen Schiff, presents:

      25th Anniversary Concert: "How Can We Keep from Singing!"

      PROGRAM:

      Felix Mendelssohn/arr.Kenneth Neufeld:  On Wings of Song

      Patti Drennan:  We Are the Music-Makers

      Gwyneth Walker:  The Youthful Traveler

      Free Spirit ~ Arise, and Come Away! ~ Back and Forth on the Ferry

      Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  Never Sit Down (from "The Spirit of Women")

      Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  The Whole World (In His Hands)

      Gwyneth Walker:  White Horses

      Gwyneth Walker:  If Ever Two Were One

      Gwyneth Walker:  Crossing the Bar

      Gwyneth Walker:  The Tree of Peace

      Gwyneth Walker:  Love is a Rain of Diamonds

      Gwyneth Walker:  I Thank You God  (poem: E.E. Cummings)

      Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  The Gospel Ship (Traditional)

      Samuel Barber:  Overture to "The School for Scandal," Op.5

      Josu Elberdin:  Cantate Domino

      Igor Stravinsky:  Symphony of Psalms

      Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  How Can I Keep From Singing

      GUEST CHORUSES:

      Branson High School Chamber Singers

      Golden Gate Men's Chrous

      Voci Women's Vocal Ensemble

      FEATURED MUSICIANS:

      Mill Valley Philharmonic

      DATE/TIME/PLACE:

      Tuesday, April 23, 2013

      7:30pm

      Davies Symphony Hall

      201 Van Ness Ave

      San Francisco

      TICKETS:

      General: $25 - $100

      For ticket purchase visit the City Box Office website: www.cityboxoffice.com

      Enjoy an elegant evening of choral entertainment and support the arts! Please mark your calendars for this very special concert on APRIL 23:  How Can We Keep from Singing!  The performance will host a variety of choral groups and will feature a newly commissioned piece by Gwyneth Walker written specifically for this concert that commemorates 25 years of wonderful music brought to the community by Singers Marin under the leadership of Artistic Director, Jan Pedersen Schiff.  SingersMarin is celebrating 25 years of bringing musical joy to the community and invites you to share in this experience.  Guest ensembles include:  Branson High School Chamber Singers, Golden Gate Men's Chorus, Voci Women’s Vocal Ensemble, and the Mill Valley Philharmonic.

      Singers Marin’s youth and adult ensembles along with the guest choirs will each perform selected works by Gwyneth Walker.  In addition, our guest orchestra, the Mill Valley Philharmonic, will perform a chosen work of their own, followed by Stravinsky’s “Symphony of Psalms” with 200 singers from the combined Singers Marin and guest adult and teen choruses.  Igor Stravinsky described his choral/orchestral works:  “It is not a symphony in which I have included Psalms to be sung.  On the contrary, it is the singing of the Psalms that I am symphonizing.”  Our conductor, Jan Pedersen Schiff reflects:  “This composition is one of the most profoundly spiritual pieces I have ever sung in my life”, and she looks forward to conducting and sharing this experience with the singers and the audience.

      Be part of this special event and meet our guest composer, Gwyneth Walker at two special receptions, one before the event at a lovely Tiburon home and also after the concert by making a donation to help us underwrite the costs of this Gwyneth Walker’s commission and the anniversary concert. Visit our website at www.singersmarin.org to donate now.

      Appropriately, the concert will close with Gwyneth Walker's powerful arrangement of the Quaker hymn, "How Can I Keep from Singing!"  A reception for donors and those who purchase the $100 tickets will follow with the composer in the beautiful Wattis Room at Davies.  We hope you will join us in this post-concert celebration by making a donation toward our 25th anniversary season or purchasing your tickets through the City Box Office website or by calling 415-392-4400.

      Jan Pedersen Schiff

      Founder/Artistic Director, Choral Singers of Marin

      P.O. Box 2102

      Mill Valley, CA 94942

    • SingersMarin
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25 2:12 PM

        Singers Marin, under the direction of Marin Women's Hall of Fame 2013 inductee, Jan Pedersen Schiff, presents: 25th Anniversary Concert: "How Can We Keep from Singing?", featuring the music of Gwyneth Walker and Stravinsky’s Symphony of Psalms.

        GUEST CHORUSES:
        Branson High School Chamber Singers
        Golden Gate Men's Chrous
        Voci Women's Vocal Ensemble

        FEATURED ORCHESTRA:
        Mill Valley Philharmonic

        PROGRAM:
        Felix Mendelssohn/arr.Kenneth Neufeld:  On Wings of Song– Singers Marin Women’s Chorus
        Patti Drennan:  We Are the Music-Makers – Singers Marin Women’s Chorus
        Gwyneth Walker:  The Youthful Traveler  - West Coast Premier – Singers Marin Women’s Chorus
        Free Spirit ~ Arise, and Come Away! ~ Back and Forth on the Ferry
        Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  Never Sit Down (from "The Spirit of Women")- Singers Marin Teen Girls Ensemble
        Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  The Whole World (In His Hands)- Singers Marin Combined Youth Choruses
        Gwyneth Walker:  White Horses – Branson High School Chamber Singers
        Gwyneth Walker:  If Ever Two Were One – Singers Marin A Cappella Mixed Vocal Ensemble
        Gwyneth Walker:  Crossing the Bar – Golden Gate Men’s Chorus
        Gwyneth Walker:  The Tree of Peace - Voci Women’s Vocal Ensemble
        Gwyneth Walker:  Love is a Rain of Diamonds – Voci Women’s Vocal Ensemble
        Gwyneth Walker:  I Thank You God  (poem: E.E. Cummings)- Singers Marin Women’s Chorus
        Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  The Gospel Ship (Traditional) – World Premier – Singers Marin Women’s and Youth Choruses
        Samuel Barber:  Overture to "The School for Scandal," Op.5- Mill Valley Philharmonic
        Josu Elberdin:  Cantate Domino- Golden Gate Men’s Chorus
        Igor Stravinsky:  Symphony of Psalms- Combined Singers Marin & Guest Ensembles
        Arr. Gwyneth Walker:  How Can I Keep From Singing- Combined Singers Marin & Guest Ensembles

        DATE/TIME/PLACE:
        Tuesday, April 23, 2013
        7:30pm
        Davies Symphony Hall
        201 Van Ness Ave
        San Francisco

        TICKETS:
        General: $25 - $100
        VIP tickets include post-concert reception with composer, Gwyneth Walker
        For ticket purchase visit the City Box Office website: www.cityboxoffice.com
        Contact:  (415) 383-3712; singers@...

[...]

        Singers Marin
        P.O. Box 2102