San Francisco Lyric Chorus Spring 2013 Auditions

  • Helene Whitson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2013
      San Francisco Lyric Chorus Spring 2013 Auditions The San Francisco Lyric Chorus, under the direction of Music Director, Robert Gurney, invites singers to join us for our Spring 2013 trimester. We have openings in all parts.

      Altos, Tenors and Basses especially are needed.

      Program:   Music in the Eastern European Tradition…And Schubert

      Leos Janácek:  Six Moravian Choruses (after Dvorák)
      Sergei Rachmaninoff:  Bogoroditse Devo
      Dmitri Bortnyansky:  Cherubic Hymn, No. 7
      Alexander Gretchaninoff:  Our Father
      Alexander Gretchaninoff:  Nunc Dimittis
      Nicolai Kedrov:  Otche Nash
      Modeste Mussorgsky (attributed):  The Angel Cried (Angel Vopiyashe)
      Sid Robinovitch:  Prayer Before Sleep from the Talmud Suite
      Franz Schubert:  Mass No. 2 in G

      Rehearsals began Monday, January 14, 2013

      Rehearsals are held on Monday nights from 7:15-9:45 p.m. in the:
      Chapel
      Trinity Episcopal Church
      1620 Gough Street (between Austin and Bush Streets)
      San Francisco

      To arrange for an audition (ability to blend and sing in tune, some sight reading skill expected) or obtain further information, contact Music Director Robert Gurney at 415-721-4077 or rgurney@... <mailto:info@...> . For further information about us, check our website at http://www.sflc.org

      Our concerts will be held on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 5 p.m.

      For our Spring 2013 trimester, Music in the Eastern European Tradition…And Schubert, we present a wonderful variety of romantic and expressive music from 19th century Bohemia, the Russian Orthodox liturgy, Austria, and contemporary Canada.

      Antonin Dvorák (1841-1904) composed his sparkling Six Moravian Choruses for two voices and piano between 1875 and 1877.  His friend, Leos Janácek, (1854-1928), later set these songs about unrequited love for four voices and piano.  We will be singing Janacek’s version, which was not published until 1939.

      Sergei Rachmaninoff’s (1873-1943) Bogoroditse Devo is one of the sections of his 1915 All-Night Vigil.  This tender prayer strays from specific chant melodies into a freely composed style in which each voice follows its own individual line.

      Ukrainian composer Dmitri Bortnyansky (1751-1825) demonstrated his vocal and compositional gifts as a child.  A contemporary of Mozart, he studied with Italian composer Baldassare Galuppi (1706-1785).  His famous Cherubic Hymn, No. 7 is considered one of the most sublime Orthodox liturgical compositions.

      Russian composer Alexander Gretchaninoff (1864-1956) studied with Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Sergei Taneyev, and Anton Arensky. His Our Father and Nunc Dimittis express the rich gloriousness of Russian liturgical music.

      Russian composer Nicolai Kedrov, Sr.’s (1871-1940) beautiful and reverent Otche Nash is one of the most familiar Russian liturgical selections and is sung often at Russian weddings.

      Probably most famous for his opera Boris Godunov, Russian composer Modeste Mussorgsky (1839-1881) composed little, if any, sacred music.  The Angel Cried (Angel Vopiyashe) is attributed to him, and this dramatic composition sounds as if it fits right into the marvelous Coronation Scene from Boris.

      Canadian composer Sid Robinovitch’s (1942- ) ethereal Prayer Before Sleep is the final composition in his dynamic six-part Talmud Suite.

      Franz Schubert's (1797-1828) Mass in G is pure, lyrical Schubert, tender and sweet in some places, stirring and majestic in others! The most familiar and popular of his masses, it was finished in six days during March 1815.

      Formed in 1995, San Francisco Lyric Chorus is an auditioned, medium-sized, mixed-voice chorus that performs a diverse repertoire with an emphasis on classical choral music and rarely performed works. We are an inclusive and welcoming community of singers, committed to excellent musicianship and creative programming.  The Chorus has featured performances of works by such composers as Berlioz, Mozart, Bach, Haydn, Schubert, Brahms, Fauré, Dufay, Josquin, Bernstein, Gjeilo, Howells, Pärt, Tavener, Lauridsen, Verdi, Britten, Whitacre, Dvorák, Kodály, Corigliano, and San Francisco composer Kirke Mechem, as well as our 10th Anniversary commissioned work, Illinois composer Lee R. Kesselman's This Grand Show Is Eternal and the December 2009 World Premiere of Robert Train Adams’ Christmas Fantasy.

      We have a wonderful sense of community and enjoy making music together and sharing it with our audiences. We would like to meet you!

      Helene Whitson
      President, San Francisco Lyric Chorus
      Co-Author, San Francisco Bay Area Chorus Directory
      Founder, San Francisco Bay Area Choral Archive
      1824 Arch Street
      Berkeley, California  94709
      510-849-4689
      hwhitson@...