Oakland Jazz Choir SEEKING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR- still accepting applications! (Oakland CA)

  • Heather Fong
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2012

      You can still apply!!

      We're fired up & ready to go into 2013 with YOU!

      Send your resume and inquires to: audition@...

      Web page: http://www.oaklandjazzchoir.com

      Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/oakjazzchoir

      Youtube: http://youtu.be/t3JJpBNjwzY

      The Oakland Jazz Choir is currently seeking an Artistic Director. Position is part-time (monthly stipend negotiable). The choir is a year-round project. We invite all candidates to visit our website at www.oaklandjazzchoir.com or Facebook page to become familiar with our organization or e-mail us at audition@... for more information or to apply.

      Qualifications:

      -Experience as a choral music director, with a strong jazz background

      -Ability to work with adults of different racial and ethnic backgrounds and various levels of musical experience and training

      -Ability to teach effectively by ear and with written music

      -Organized and able to delegate tasks when appropriate

      -Experience with directing instrumentalists

      -A team player!

      Duties:

      -Assumes overall responsibility for preparing, rehearsing and conducting weekly rehearsals, additional sectionals, concerts (various days/eves), local outreach including charity performnces and educational presentations at various Oakland schools, 2-4 times/yr.

      -Develops repertoire by researching and commissioning arrangements and selects music to be performed at concerts, making sure it is in alignment with the choir’s artistic mission and the nature of the performance event.

      -Conducts rehearsals according to the following schedule:

      --Weekly rehearsals 7-10 pm every Wednesday requiring rehearsal plans

      --One Wednesday per month from 6-7 pm for small group or sectional rehearsals

      --Extra rehearsals as the Artistic Director deems necessary to prepare quality concerts.

      -Conducts auditions annually and as required to maintain and grow choir membership, quality and diversity.

      -Performs administrative functions as necessary with the support of the Managing Director, Choir Council and section leaders.

      -Works to remain within the choir budget.

      **OJC is a Non-Profit Organization. We seek an experienced and motivated musical director open to working with a fun, unique, and dedicated group in our love of Jazz, Singing, Learning, and Community. We want potential Directors to be aware of our financial position as a small, arts non-profit and therefore seek someone as dedicated to our mission as we are.

      Mission of the Oakland Jazz Choir

      -To build an appreciation of and audience for jazz vocal music

      -To promote respect for the cultural roots of jazz

      -To provide concerts that reflect the diversity of jazz

      -To offer a basis for community across racial, ethnic, and economic lines

      -To help members enhance vocal and choral skills and learn and perform jazz

      -To experience the joy of making music together