Oakland Jazz Choir SEEKING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR - Oakland, CA

  • Heather Fong
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2012

      Do you love vocal jazz?

      Does the sound of 5 and 6 part harmonies send chills up your spine?

      Would you love working with a diverse group of singers who enjoy challenging charts and original arrangements as well as the joy of watching public school kids scat and improvise for the first time?

      Then this may be the community choir for you!

      We are accepting applications NOW!

      Web page: http://www.oaklandjazzchoir.com

      Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/oakjazzchoir

      Youtube: http://youtu.be/t3JJpBNjwzY

        The Oakland Jazz Choir is currently seeking an Artistic Director, position part-time with monthly stipend negotiable. The choir is a year-round project. We invite all candidates to visit our website at www.oaklandjazzchoir.com or Facebook page to become familiar with our organization, or e-mail us at audition@... for more information or to apply.

      -Experience as a choral music director, with a strong jazz background

      -Ability to work with adults of different racial and ethnic backgrounds and various levels of musical experience and training

      -Ability to teach effectively by ear and with written music

      -Organized and able to delegate tasks when appropriate

      -Experience with directing instrumentalists

      -A team player!

      -Assumes overall responsibility for preparing and conducting weekly rehearsals, additional sectionals, and concerts (various days/eves), as well as local outreach including charity performances and educational presentations at various Oakland schools, 2-4 times per year.  See rehearsal schedule below.

      -Develops repertoire by researching and commissioning arrangements and selects music to be performed at concerts, making sure it is in alignment with the choir’s artistic mission and the nature of the performance event.

      -Conducts auditions annually and as required to maintain and grow choir membership, quality and diversity.

      -Performs administrative functions as necessary, with the support of the Managing Director, Choir Council and section leaders.

      -Works to remain within the choir budget.

      Rehearsal schedule:

      -Weekly rehearsals 7-10 pm every Wednesday, requiring rehearsal plans

      -One Wednesday per month from 6-7 pm for small groups or sectionals

      -Extra rehearsals as is deemed necessary to prepare quality concerts

      **OJC is a Non-Profit Organization. We seek an experienced and motivated musical director open to working with a fun, unique, and dedicated group of our love of Jazz, Singing, Learning, and Community. We want potential Directors to be aware of our financial position as a small, arts non-profit and therefore seek someone as dedicated to our mission as we are.

      Mission of the Oakland Jazz Choir:

      -to build an appreciation of and audience for jazz vocal music

      -to promote respect for the cultural roots of jazz

      -to provide concerts that reflect the diversity of jazz

      -to offer a basis for community across racial, ethnic, and economic lines

      -to help members enhance vocal and choral skills and learn and perform jazz

      -to experience the joy of making music together