Explanation Requested: "God Bless America" in the Key of WTF#?

  • David S
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
      This community is too small for this mystery to go unexplained. Can someone please figure out how to ask the quartet who attempted to convey the song "God Bless America" to a national TV audience at last night's Game 4 of the World Series failed so epically?

      The best theory my friends and fellow singers have come up with is that one of the microphones failed. The second best theory (mine) is that it was a five-part a cappella arrangement, with the soprano line omitted so that the crowd of 50,000 fans could provide it instead.

      In other words - if you were there and singing along, it sounded great - as it did in our living room once my wife began to sing the Melody on top of the other four parts!

      But someone must know someone who can get word to the actual quartet and post the real reason for what came across sounding so lamentably bad on national TV last night, right?
    • Shinybright Salin
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
        Mostly what I was thinking was, bring back the 7th inning stretch, with an occasional Take Me Out T T B G...... Why must we be continually subjected to God Bless America and Homeland Insecurity especially when there are lots of other more interesting songs?
        "God" likely thinks little about Nationalistic arrogance. If "America" is a land we love so much, perhaps it is time to take it back from the destructive nonsense being perpetuated by corporate and governmental interests and policy which care only about $ profits, at the expense of a sustainable or healthy system? Perhaps we could become a nation of conservers rather than entitled consumers?
        Nature cares little about our laws and machinations.
        Sing on and bring some harmony to this madhouse, everything with ears will likely join in eventually.
        Sierra Salin
        Here is my suggestion for a much better song to be sung at events.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCX3ZNDZAwY
      • Larry Hamel
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
          Is this the rendition? it is labeled:  4Troops sing "God Bless America" at Game 4.

          http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12941905

          This says they were Michigan nat. guard members:
          http://www.freep.com/article/20121028/SPORTS02/121028039/Michigan-Air-National-Guarding-singing-God-Bless-America-World-Series-Game-4-Detroit-Tigers-San-Francisco-Giants

          They were sharing mics on stands despite height differences, and it seems like they didn't have monitors in front of them.

          On 10/29/12 7:43 AM, David S wrote:

[...]

        • ann rosenberg

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
              Oops, ok, this seems to be the rendition:

              http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25462075&c_id=mlb

              labeled "Knights in Blue"

              Was one mic off?  Again the mic stand problem.  I hear only one voice clearly.

[...]

            • Stephen Saxon
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012

                Here it is:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKe1W26fVSI

                I didn’t find it until I searched Google for “world series god bless America fail”  and it came up as the second link available.

                Sounds to me like the “one mic fail” theory is most likely.  You can hear one working mic for the alto and bass.  The tenor lead is there as an echo, and the soprano is all but missing.  Even if the stage left mic had been working, the soprano is singing into the side of a directional microphone, while the tenor is singing into the front.

                That’s what I’m guessing for a root cause analysis after two viewings.

                Stephen.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
                    They were off key, even without the melody line, and likely because they could not hear each other. My quartet sang at the Giants game on June 2nd (wish I could find any recording..... anybody.....) for their old time uniforms day. It was pretty big fun.We sang out front for an hour or so pregame, and then we went out to home plate between innings and sang a bit, including leading the 7th inning stretch in Take Me Out To.... I'd a done it for free, as we got great seats, and free parking, anyway, to make a short story long, where was I, oh yeah, singing in a stadium.
                    Aside from being exceptionally cool (and hey the Giants won too) it was REALLLLLY hard to hear with all the background noise as well as everything else going on. I realized that all would be lost in an instant were my ears to wander to the lagging echoes and pitches which WERE swirling around and as easy to hear as the other 3 guys singing beside me ears, and we likely did hit a few interesting notes anyways regardless.
                    I imagine that the folks yesterday likely sound a lot better in general, and between technical difficulties, and being deer in the headlights surrounded by swirling and flashing everything,.... Well, last I heard, they have all changed their names and moved to Svalbard for the winter.
                    Sierra Salin
                  • Craig Knudsen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 29, 2012
                      I'd like to add to Stephen Saxon's very spot-on analysis of the situation................
                      If you look at the singers while they are being announced, you'll see the bass leaning over to the alto to get his note. She hums it and then hums it again. He then comes in strong, but on a totally wrong note. He switches over to the melody pretty quickly, but is flustered enough that he sings  "stand beside me, and guide her.........".

                      The moral(s)........
                      • Don't use directional mics if you only have 2 mics
                      • Assume that the soprano will probably face in the wrong direction, and assign someone to "stand beside her and guide her"
                      • If you only have 2 mics, put the melody on one mic and the harmony parts on the other (non-directional) mic.
                      • Divert some of the military budget to fund Arts in the Schools so that the dedicated men and women of the armed forces can be better prepared when they are called upon to represent our great nation as singers in times of war.

                      all best,
                      craig k
                      Craig Knudsen
                      Knudsen Productions, LLC
                      office (510) 549-1777; fax (848) 260-5442;
                      cell (510) 409-8296
                      1737 Blake St., Berkeley, CA, 94703

                      Performing Arts Conferences 2012:  WAA Booth 403 • Midwest Arts Booth 407 • PAE Booth 622 • Arts Northwest Booth 35 •  APAP Booth 418

                      Exclusive North American Representation for:
                      VOCAL ENSEMBLES:
                      • The swingle singers*(U.S. only)
                      • Stile Antico*
                      • Voces8*
                                        *Based in the UK

                      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
                    • John Wagaman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 2, 2012

                        Greetings:

                        I’m John and have followed with interest this conversation.  I work in Sacramento for a company called Blue Diamond Growers.  We are seeking a brave acappella group to sing the National anthem at our annual meeting being held in Modesto on Nov. 14th at Noon.  About 1200 people would be in attendance.

                        Have you advice on how I might proceed in obtaining a likely group?  A small payment would be offered to the group, along with a meal.

                        Thanks.

                        John Wagaman

                        Sales Manager

                        1802 C Street

                        Sacramento, Ca.  95811

                        P. 916-446-8334

                        F. 916-446-8422

                        C. 916-712-3849

                        jwagaman@...

                        cid:C4142918-ABAB-4656-813C-0ED41824E50A

[...]

                        Communications may be monitored for quality assurance and security purposes. This correspondence may contain
                        confidential information. Unless you are
                        the addressee (or you are authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not
                        copy, use, or distribute this information. If you have
                        received this in error, please advise the sender immediately at Blue Diamond Growers and permanently delete all copies,
                        electronic or other, you may have.

                      • Stephen Saxon
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 2, 2012

                          John,

                          Likely candidates (the links may be way out of date, but you can do that further level of research):

                          ·        Someone very local (a small fee isn’t worth traveling far)

                          ·        Check with a local Barbershop or Sweet Adelines chapter

                          ·        Golden Valley Chorus:

                          o   Vice President of Chapter Development, Mike Boyd   vpdevelopment@..., 209-599-4820

                          o   Greg Hedges   ghedges@..., 209 825-3275, ext. 795 (baritone section leader, Golden Valley Chorus, SPEBSQSA)

                          o   Modesto - HisStory IV (men's quartet), Bob Greenhalgh 209/527-4349

                          o   Modesto - Collaboration (men's quartet), 209/838-7860 LEOVAN@...

                          ·        A high school or college group (always raising funds for something, good singers, good way to support the community)

                          o   http://mcs.monet.k12.ca.us/default.aspx

                          o   Modesto Jr. College Music Department 209.575.6081

                          A better idea would be to treat this as a professional need and budget accordingly.  You wouldn’t look for amateurs or volunteers to fix the plumbing, set up the convention floor, offer executive professional development, or maintain your plant’s machinery.  You’d probably even be comfortable hiring professional caterers to provide the meals for your gathering.

                          A fee of $800 - $1,600 for 4, 6, or 8 consultants / professionals to show up at an appointed time, dressed appropriately, and work in a very specialized field for 30 - 60 minutes would not be an unreasonable budget item for most events or corporations.

                          You should be able to find amateurs or hobbyists who would be willing to do this, but you won’t be sorry if you hire true professionals.

                          That’s my $0.02, and I mean this in the most positive way possible.

                          Best of luck,

                          Stephen.

[...]

                            <image002.jpg><image003.jpg>

                            Rich Cook

                            "What is most personal is most general."
                            -- Carl Rogers

                          • Red Devil Chorus