San Francisco Lyric Chorus Fall 2012 Auditions

  • Helene Whitson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2012
      San Francisco Lyric Chorus Fall 2012 Auditions The San Francisco Lyric Chorus, under the direction of Music Director, Robert Gurney, invites singers to join us for our Fall 2012 trimester. We have openings in all parts.

      Tenors and Basses especially are needed.

      Program:   Christmas Music for Chorus and Harp

      Benjamin Britten:  A Ceremony of Carols
      Kirke Mechem:  Seven Joys of Christmas
      Kirke Mechem:  Gloria from Three Motets
      Bob Chilcott:  God So Loved the World
      Bob Chilcott:  Shepherd’s Carol
      Marjorie Hess:  The Oxen
      Robert H. Young:  There Is No Rose
      Peter Wishart:  Alleluya, A New Work Is Come On Hand

      Rehearsals begin Monday, September 10, 2012

      Rehearsals are held on Monday nights from 7:15-9:45 p.m. at:
      Macondray Hall
      First Unitarian Universalist Church
      1187 Franklin Street
      San Francisco

      To arrange for an audition (ability to blend and sing in tune, some sight reading skill expected) or obtain further information, contact Music Director Robert Gurney at 415-721-4077 or rgurney@.... For further information about us, check our website at http://www.sflc.org

      Our concerts will be held on Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 5 p.m.

      For our Fall 2012 trimester, Christmas Music for Chorus and Harp, we present a wonderful variety of music—music familiar, music new, music of joy, music of contemplation—that expresses the specialness of this time of year.

      Benjamin Britten’s (1913-1976) A Ceremony of Carols for harp and chorus is a Christmas classic.  He composed this holiday masterpiece on a ship in 1942, as he was returning to England from the United States.  Modeled after the English ceremony of nine lessons and carols, Britten uses the nine carols without the lessons to show the various moods surrounding the celebration of this most joyous holiday.

      San Francisco composer Kirke Mechem (1925- ) composed his Seven Joys of Christmas for harp and chorus in 1964.  He sets seven carols from different countries, each describing a different aspect of holiday joy.  The Seven Joys of Christmas is often performed as a companion piece to the Britten.  Mechem’s energetic Gloria (one of three motets) is a setting of an anonymous 15th century text.

      English composer Bob Chilcott (1955- ) was a boy chorister in the famed King’s College Choir at Cambridge University, as well as a 12-year member of the King’s Singers.  In 1997, he began composing in earnest.  God So Loved The World and the Shepherd’s Carol, two of his most familiar compositions, express the joy of the season with soaring lyricism.

      Minnesota composer Marjorie Ann Hess (a.k.a. Maura Bosch) (1958- ) sets Thomas Hardy’s tender Christmas poem, The Oxen, as a quiet, reflective composition for harp and chorus.

      Texas composer and professor Robert H. Young (1923-2011) was born in Santa Cruz, California.  During his 30 years at Baylor University as a music faculty member, he founded and conducted the Baylor University Chamber Singers, as well as composing numerous choral compositions.  There Is No Rose is one of his most beloved compositions.

      English composer Peter Wishart (1921-1984) was a student of Nadia Boulanger, later becoming a professor of music at various English universities.  His exuberant Alleluya, A New Work Is Come On Hand, a setting of a 15th century text, abounds with cascading passages of joy.

      Formed in 1995, San Francisco Lyric Chorus is an auditioned, medium-sized, mixed-voice chorus that performs a diverse repertoire with an emphasis on classical choral music and rarely performed works. We are an inclusive and welcoming community of singers, committed to excellent musicianship and creative programming.  The Chorus has featured performances of works by such composers as Berlioz, Mozart, Bach, Haydn, Schubert, Brahms, Fauré, Dufay, Josquin, Bernstein, Howells, Pärt, Tavener, Lauridsen, Verdi, Britten, Dvorák, Kodály, and San Francisco composer Kirke Mechem, as well as our 10th Anniversary commissioned work, Illinois composer Lee R. Kesselman's This Grand Show Is Eternal and the December 2009 World Premiere of Robert Train Adams’ Christmas Fantasy.

      We have a wonderful sense of community and enjoy making music together and sharing it with our audiences. We would like to meet you!

      Helene Whitson
      President, San Francisco Lyric Chorus
      Co-Author, San Francisco Bay Area Chorus Directory
      Founder, San Francisco Bay Area Choral Archive
      1824 Arch Street
      Berkeley, California  94709
      510-849-4689
      hwhitson@...