SF Choral Artists in concert June 16: Poetry on Musical Wings

  • rebeccasfca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2012
      Poetry on Musical Wings

      Don't miss this beautiful concert by the SF Choral Artists.

      Audience member quote:
      "
      Thank you for an absolutely splendid concert! I loved not only the fact that the well-chosen texts were printed in the program, but that we were encouraged to read them as we listened to enrich the whole experience. Strap on your favorite pair of poetic wings and fly to one of SFCA's remaining concerts...!"

      There's only one left:

      San Francisco: Saturday, June 16th, 8PM (Buy online )
      St. Mark's Lutheran Church, 111 O'Farrell St. (map )

      Enjoy these highlights and more:

      Lewis Spratlan's Crustacean Island, setting a poem by the Bay Area's own Kay Ryan (2011 Pulitzer Prize winner and two-time Poet Laureate). Mystery percussion instruments imitate the clicking of lobster claws in a strange reality devoid of humans.

      Oakland composer Michael Kaulkin's setting of Will T. Laughlin's Ducks in the Garden uses irregular meter and a light-hearted tone to portray the irony of the unexpected conclusion of this darkly humorous poem.

      The world premiere of Allen Shearer's Listen. Put on Morning with text by W. S. Graham.  In this beautifully layered piece, the sound of rope skipped on pavement, wailing sirens and the evocation of light paint a complex memory of childhood mornings.

      Patricia Julien's work Large Crow with text by American poet April Bernard, uses jazz rhythms and harmonies to convey a crow's peculiar advice.

      Four selections from Peter Schickele's (ego to the alter-ego P.D.Q. Bach) After Spring Sunset. Miniature 17th and 18th century Japanese texts provide sonic snapshots: mists rising from the river, moonlight slanting through bamboo, a shadow.

      Two voices mimic bagpipes to accompany Scotsman Robert Burns' poem O my Luve's like a red, red rose in a work by British composer Paul Ayres.

      John Steinbeck was awed by the "ambassadors from another time" he encountered in a Northern Californian forest. Composer-Not-in-Residence Matt Van Brink sets Steinbeck's prose in Among the Redwoods. A driving, pulsing, rhythmic ostinato becomes a ticking clock which precedes our life and continues when we are gone.

      Music Director Magen Solomon unearths another hidden gem: Randall Thompson's The Light of Stars, with text by Longfellow, seldom performed despite being gorgeous and dramatic with huge ranges of color.

      The winners of our 2012 New Voices Project: Katherine Saxon and Daniel Galbreath are also featured. This competition, for composers age 30 and under, required submissions on the theme of poetry.

      Saxon's composition Speed and Perfection beautifully imitates the sounds of the wind, evoking the mood in Bay Area poet Jane Hirschfield's poem of the same name. Galbreath describes his process for composing There Will Come Soft Rains: "I use some jazzier harmonies and off-kilter rhythms to underscore the blithe irony of the text, and of the natural elements in that text which are used to create the poem's didactic message."

      Tickets:
      $12 Student/$22 Senior/$25 General
      Advance Purchase

      $15 Student/$28 Senior/$30 General
      At Door

      What People are Saying
      "...awash in gorgeous harmonies... exquisite, rich, and sensuous, ...beautiful phrasing, and a perfect blend ...deeply beautiful and moving"
      Jonathan Russell, San Francisco Classical Voice; Professor, San Francisco Conservatory of Music
      "...imaginatively-chosen, challenging, and very beautifully sung..."
      Lisa Hirsch, San Francisco Classical Voice
      "A Bay Area treasure"
      Kirke Mechem, Composer

      About the Choral Artists
      Nationally-recognized San Francisco Choral Artists has achieved renown through innovative programs and stunning performances presenting new works and masterworks of the last 600 years. Specializing in the music of living composers, SFCA has premiered over 175 works and collaborated with The Alexander String Quartet, Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra, Composers Inc, The Whole Noyse, and others. Magen Solomon, Artistic Director since 1995, avidly cultivates engagements with living composers to bridge the gulf between audience, composer, and performer. Active as a guest conductor, adjudicator and clinician, she has worked with many noted conductors.

      Contact Us
      www.sfca.org
      info@...
      415-494-8149