Tunnel singing this Sunday 2/19

  • Jamie & Renata
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2012
      Hey singers! We are gathering to weave harmonies and build rhythms and play with voice in a beautifully resonant tunnel next to the Golden Gate Bridge this Sunday Feb 19. See you there? (:

      For details, check out the Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/367471199930694/

      If you can't access that, below is the information from the Fbook page:

      When: Sunday Feb 19, 6:30pm--9pm

      Let's jam!

      What happens in the tunnel completely depends on who's there, but past experiences suggest there could be circle singing, vocal improv jamming, instruments, barbershop tag singing, familiar songs with a new twist, etc etc...

      There is a space in the Marin Headlands that must have been created for making music....it's that good. Some people call it "the tunnel," others might know it as "Battery Construction 129." Either way, its acoustics MUST be experienced.

      One side of this resonant tunnel looks out on the entirety of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge, an incredible vista. If you walk out the other side...well, I don't want to spoil it for you...but it's a beautiful surprise. And then if you keep going through our tunnel to the NEXT tunnel....it gets even better. Exploration is encouraged!

      What to bring:
      -warm clothing / hat / gloves
      -snacks
      -hydration supplies
      -candles :)
      -flashlight
      -musical instruments

      Need a ride? Offering a ride? Post it!

      There is unfortunately no public transit up to the tunnel. There are always bikers on that road so I suppose it can be done...but check out a topographic map before you bike! It's quite an up-hill ride.

      DIRECTIONS:

      There are two tunnels at the top, one seems to only sometimes be open. Once you get to the top of the mountain following the directions below [which sound more complicated than they are], go to the FIRST of the 2 tunnels / the tunnel closer to the GGBridge [by about 100 feet] that you'll come to. This tunnel is slightly bigger / longer than the other, it's directly across from the parking spaces...and you'll probably hear or see people you recognize :)

      This map [http://goo.gl/w5BwX] shows an older view of the area. There is now a tunnel [one you're NOT supposed to go through] where the one-way road starts, that was not there when this satellite photo was taken. The right-most part of the outlined area labeled as Battery 129 shows the mouth of one of our tunnels [I think it's the second one, the one we're not singing in this time].

      From the SOUTH: cross the Golden Gate Bridge and take the second exit, labeled Alexander Avenue. Get in the left lane following signs that read "101 San Francisco". Turn left at the stop sign and cross under the freeway. Turn right onto Conzelman Road  [which probably isn't labeled as such - it will be the first right, and it goes UP a hill. Once you turn onto that road, stay straight / right, going UP.] Drive about 1.8 miles [about halfway, you'll drive around a traffic circle - stay straight], until you see the tunnel entrance on your right, parking spaces to your left. DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH A TUNNEL or GO ONTO A ONE-WAY ROAD. Don't start driving down hill. If you drive through a tunnel, or go to a one-way road, you've gone too far. Park in those spaces on the left [overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge and the city]...and enter the large tunnel with the big iron gates [http://goo.gl/WWYGb].

      From the NORTH: after going through the Waldo Tunnel [and having the most beautiful, dynamic view...especially at sunset], take the last Sausalito exit to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (the signs read "Golden Gate National Recreation Area/Sausalito"). Turn left at the stop sign, then right up the hill onto Conzelman Road [which probably isn't labeled as such - it will be the first right, and it goes UP a hill. Once you turn onto that road, stay straight / right, going UP.] Drive about 1.8 miles [ [about halfway, you'll drive around a traffic circle - stay straight], until you see the tunnel entrance on your right, parking spaces to your left. DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH THE TUNNEL  or GO ONTO A ONE-WAY ROAD. Don't start driving down hill. If you drive through a tunnel, or go to a one-way road, you've gone too far. Park in those spaces on the left [overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge and the city]...and enter the large tunnel with the big iron gates [http://goo.gl/WWYGb].

      --
      Singers' Sandbox
      singerssandbox@...

      ...transcending notes and words to make music with voice...