San Francisco Lyric Chorus Spring 2012 Auditions

  • Helene Whitson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2012
      San Francisco Lyric Chorus Spring 2012 Auditions The San Francisco Lyric Chorus, under the direction of Interim Music Director Robert Gurney, invites singers to join us for our Spring 2012 trimester. We have openings in all parts.
      Altos, Tenors and Basses especially are needed.
      Program:   Modern American Voices:  Aaron Copland, John Corigliano, Eric Whitacre settings of poetry
      Aaron Copland:  Four Selections from Old American Songs
      The Boatmen’s Dance
      The Little Horses
      Long Time Ago
      The Golden Willow Tree
      John Corigliano:  Fern Hill
      Eric Whitacre:
      Animal Crackers
      Water Night
      Five Hebrew Love Songs
      Rehearsals begin Monday, January 9, 2012
      Rehearsals are held on Monday nights from 7:15-9:45 p.m. at:
      Macondray Hall
      First Unitarian Universalist Church
      1187 Franklin Street
      San Francisco
      To arrange for an audition (ability to blend and sing in tune, some sight reading skill expected) or obtain further information, contact Interim Music Director Robert Gurney at 415-721-4077 or info@....  For further information about us, check our website at http://www.sflc.org

      Our concerts will be held on Saturday, April 28, 2012 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 5 p.m.
      For our Spring 2012 trimester, Modern American Voices, we present a wonderful combination of words and music—poetry set by three distinguished American composers.
      Between 1950 and 1952, Aaron Copland (1900-1990) composed settings for eight different American folk songs, at the request of his friend, Benjamin Britten.  We will sing four of these folk songs and ballads, ranging in mood from the jolly song of the Ohio River boatmen to the gentle lullaby of The Little Horses. These wonderful songs are accompanied by piano.
      In Fern Hill, New York composer John Corigliano (1938- ) beautifully sets Welsh poet Dylan Thomas’ (1914-1953) reminiscences of his childhood visit to an aunt’s farm, and Thomas’ musings on his life.  The lush tonality of the music matches the richness of the words.  We will be accompanied by piano and string quartet.
      Eric Whitacre (1970- ) is one of the most well-known and successful contemporary American composers.  His music has charmed and moved audiences all over the world. He composes in a variety of styles, and we have selected several works that demonstrate these styles. Animal Crackers is a setting of three poems by the American humorist, Ogden Nash (1902-1971), accompanied by piano.  Water Night is an a cappella setting of a poem by the Mexican poet, Octavio Paz (1914-1998), created in Whitacre’s familiar cluster sound.  Whitacre will use this composition as the subject of his Virtual Choir 3.  We will conclude the concert with Whitacre’s Five Hebrew Love Poems, settings of poetry by his wife, operatic soprano Hila Plitmann (1973- ).  We will be accompanied by string quartet.
      Formed in 1995, the San Francisco Lyric Chorus is an auditioned volunteer chorus that performs a repertoire representing all periods of choral music, with a special interest in presenting little known, rarely performed works of exceptional merit. The Chorus has featured performances of works by such composers as Mozart, Bach, Haydn, Schubert, Brahms, Fauré, Dufay, Josquin, Bernstein, Howells, Pärt, Tavener, Lauridsen, Verdi, Britten, Dvorák, Kodály, and San Francisco composer Kirke Mechem, as well as our 10th Anniversary commissioned work, Illinois composer Lee R. Kesselman's This Grand Show Is Eternal and the December 2009 World Premiere of Robert Train Adams’ Christmas Fantasy.
      We have a wonderful sense of community and enjoy making music together and sharing it with our audiences. We would like to meet you!
      Helene Whitson
      President, San Francisco Lyric Chorus
      Co-Author, San Francisco Bay Area Chorus Directory
      Founder, San Francisco Bay Area Choral Archive
      1824 Arch Street
      Berkeley, California  94709