Third Thursday women's open mic 10/20

  • Janet Rachel
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2011
      Third Thursday women's open mic 10/20

      Join us Thursday Oct. 20 for Third Thursday women's open mic talent showcase at Montclair Women's Cultural Arts, 1650 Mountain Blvd. in Oakland, corner of Mountain and Thornhill off Hwy. 13, 7:30 pm. 510-654-4088 for info.  $ 7 - 10 sliding scale at the door.

      Open mic spots fill up fast.  See info. below about how to sign up.  This is an all-women event and all women are welcome: an upbeat community gathering to connect with old friends, meet new ones, and enjoy fantastic entertainment.

      This month we will feature excerpts from THE BALL AND CHAIN, a Musical, presenting a staged reading  Nov. 18 - 20 at the Exit Theatre in San Francisco.  The cast will do scenes and songs from the show, which uniquely centers on dyke life in the second half of the 20th Century. It takes place in a bar, called The Ball and Chain, where everybody know you're gay. The dramedy follows the owners and the regulars of your friendly neighborhood lesbian bar through five decades of love and laughter, heartbreak and triumph, politics and softball. The book and music for The Ball and Chain, a Musical, were written by Jan Stafford, a founding member of the outrageous lesbian comedy troupe, I Love Lezzie. The show features 20 original songs. The bar's proprietors, Ball and Jane, and their friends, will make you glad you came.

      AND...the heart and soul of Third Thursday: YOU, either as performer or audience member.  Drop in for some laughs, songs, poems, prose, instruments, spoken word, and any other talents you have.    Each performer has 5 minutes to do their thing.  It is an evening rich with entertainment.

      For PERFORMANCE SIGN-UP email <janetrac@...>, and arrive before 7:30 to check in.  Show is from 7:30 to 10:00 with an intermission.  Spaces are limited so we can end at 10:00, allowing our volunteer crew to get home at a decent hour and keeping the neighbors happy.   A cappella, acoustic, or plugged in are all welcome.  We have a sound system.

      ARTISTS AND AUTHORS:  If you are a visual artist or author, contact Janet at janetrac@... for information about showing and selling your art or books at Third Thursday.

      Thank you for keeping this event scent-free.  Event is wheelchair accessible.  Let me know at <janetrac@...> if you need disabled access parking *one day in advance.*

      Janet Rachel, Host/MC
      Third Thursday Women's Talent Showcase