Golden Gate Men's Chorus Summer Concerts

  • tigger8252
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2011
      TO BUY TICKETS ONLINE, GO TO: http://ggmc.org/

      GOLDEN GATE MEN'S CHORUS PRESENTS
      "BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY" SUMMER CONCERT SERIES

      Saturday, July 30th at 8:00 PM &
      Sunday, July 31st at 4:00 PM
      St. Mark's Lutheran, San Francisco
      St. Mark's Square at 1111 O'Farrell Street,
      at the corner of O'Farrell Street and Franklin Street.

      Tickets and Availability: Tickets are now available for $20 and can be purchased:
      - Online at www.ggmc.org
      - GGMC members
      - For group tickets, contact tickets@...
      Remaining tickets will be available at the door. Student half-price discount
      tickets are available at the door with valid ID.

      The Golden Gate Men's Chorus (GGMC) continues its 29th season under the direction of Music Director, Joseph Piazza with the summer concerts, Bohemian Rhapsody. We hope you will join the Golden Gate Men's Chorus as fellow Bohemians—that is—as lovers of art, music, and literature; as unconventional thinkers and doers, ascribing to pleasure; as people who have made our home in the San Francisco Bay Area, a place that celebrates all things Bohemian. We will present music with great poetry—from the Italian Renaissance to the 19th century epic of Finland to the words of a great modernist from Japan. You will hear vocal jazz of the `50s made popular in the bohemian clubs of Greenwich Village. You will hear exotic melodies and unconventional harmonies rooted in the folk songs of the passionate Hungarians. You will find a familiar Broadway song of a carefree life, three spirited Irish folk songs of poor traveling vagabonds, lusty songs of the German hunt in the wooded forests of south central Europe, celebratory French drinking songs, and even the iconic 1974 coming-of-age song by Freddie Mercury, Bohemian Rhapsody.

      Celebrate the musical excess in poetry, love, passions, yearnings, gallant deeds, and unconventional rhythms and melodies as we celebrate the summer season in this place that is truly at the end of the rainbow: a Bohemia all its own, our beloved home of San Francisco.

      In the "Classical Voice" Jason Serinus says, "Quality is a given when it comes to the Golden Gate Men's Chorus. (The chorus) ... has such a high degree of musical proficiency among its members that the GGMC frequently tackles challenging repertoire that other community choruses tend to avoid." (5/11/09).

      About the GGMC

      The Golden Gate Men's Chorus is a select group of 50 men representing the ethnic and social diversity of San Francisco who share a common appreciation of choral music. The GGMC strives for musical excellence, provides a productive social fellowship for its members, and aims to present the rich tradition of choral music to the broad and diverse components of the San Francisco Bay Area community.

      The GGMC is proud to be supported by the San Francisco Grants for the Arts/SF Hotel Tax Fund and is a member of GALA Choruses, an international organization of gay- and lesbian-identified and supportive choruses.

      For more information, visit the GGMC Web site at www.ggmc.org or contact the chorus at (415) 668-GGMC.