Two great concerts Saturday night June 4th...Mozart's Don Giovanni and Verdi's Requiem

  • paulw@enet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2011
      This weekend has two great concerts with different groups at the same
      time...Mozart's wonderfully dark Don Giovanni, and Verdi's exquisite
      Requiem.

      Don Giovanni with the Redwood Symphony, dynamite soloists, and members of
      Peninsula Cantare...and the Verdi Requiem with the Nova Vista Symphony and
      San Jose Symphonic Choir.

      If you saw the movie Amadeus, the dark "Commendatore" or "statue" scene was
      from Don Giovanni. The character Don Giovanni is dark and evil. He kills
      a man early in act one, he's a rake and he seduces myriad women...and
      apparently is also guilty of rape.

      The singer portraying Don Giovanni, Kirk Eichelberger, has an incredible
      voice and stage presence. I feel like I'd sell my soul to the devil to be
      able to sing like he does! While this is a "concert" production and has no
      sets, the lead singers all are superb actors as well as singers.

      While the singing is all in Italian, it's easy to follow all the dialog and
      action with the projected English supertitles.

      Following is from the concert flyer from Redwood Symphony:
      Don Giovanni
      The complete opera by W.A. Mozart in a concert performance with English
      supertitles
      June 4, 2011, 8pm

      CaƱada College, Main Theatre
      Farm Hill Road at I-280, Redwood City
      Pre-concert lecture by David Ostwald, 7pm

      We're excited by our upcoming concert performance of what many consider the
      greatest of all operas, Mozart's Don Giovanni (Don Juan). This masterful
      blending of comedy and tragedy will be performed by a top-notch cast and
      hand-picked Redwood Symphony players, conducted by Maestro Eric Kujawsky
      and directed by renowned opera scholar and director David Ostwald.
      Map available at redwoodsymphony.org

      Cast:
      Don Giovanni: Kirk Eichelberger
      Leporello: Andrew Chung
      Don Octavio: Daniel Deliz
      Masetto / Commendatore: John Bischoff
      Donna Anna: Pamela Hicks
      Donna Elvira: Raeeka Shehabi-Yaghmai
      Zerlina: Susanna Jimenez
      Director: David Ostwald
      With Peninsula Cantare, Janice Gunderson, Music Director

      Adults $25 ($20 in advance).
      Children 17 and under free when accompanied by an adult
      Visit www.redwoodsymphony.org for tickets or information.

      ---

      If OTOH you'd prefer the exquisite Verdi Requiem:
      San Jose Symphonic Choir and Nova Vista Symphony present: VERDI Requiem
      Saturday, June 4, 2011
      7:30pm - Lecture
      8pm - Concert

      McAfee Performing Arts Center
      20300 Herriman
      Saratoga, CA
      Tickets:
      $20 general
      $15 senior
      $10 student

      Milena Georgieva: soprano
      Wendy Hillhouse: mezzo soprano
      Pedro Betancourt: tenor
      Peter Tuff: bass
      www.novavista.org
      www.sanjosesymphonicchoir.org

      Anthony Quartuccio, music director Nova Vista Symphony:
      Dear Patrons,
      Our 2011-2012 season concludes with a dramatic and exciting performance of
      Verdi's Messa da Requiem!
      In collaboration with our friends from San Jose Symphonic Choir and
      fantastic soloists from the local area including graduates of San Francisco
      Conservatory of Music, we are delighted to bring you this concert.
      However, I have to warn you, be prepared for a powerful and thrilling
      experience! This is not a piece for the timid - Verdi made a definitive
      statement with this music, which you will hear from our combined groups.
      Join me for a Pre-concert lecture at 7:30pm, where I will fill you in on
      the background of this wonderful composition - Anthony Quartuccio, Music
      Director Nova Vista Symphony

      ---

      Paul Wendt