San Francisco Lyric Chorus Spring 2011 Concert

  • Helene Whitson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2011
      The San Francisco Lyric Chorus, under the direction of Music Director Robert
      Train Adams, presents: Voices of Immigration: Stories From Our Chorus
      Members, Expressed Through Music

      Ernst Toch‹Geographical Fugue
      William Byrd‹All As A Sea
      Salamone Rossi‹Al Naharot
      Heinrich Isaac‹Innsbruck, Ich Muss Dich Lassen
      Antonín Dvorák‹Songs of Nature
      Janika Vandervelde‹Cançao de Embalar
      Dale Warland, arr.‹Boyo Balu
      Robert De Cormier, arr.‹Dortn, Dortn
      Stephen Hatfield‹Take A Step
      Stephen Hatfield, arr‹Mayn Rue Platz
      Gabriel Fauré‹Madrigal
      Donald Patriquin, arr.‹Ah! Si Mon Moine Voulait Danser
      Donald Patriquin, arr.‹J¹Entends le Moulin
      J. David Moore, arr.‹How Can I Keep From Singing?

      Featured Musicians:
      Jerome Lenk, Piano
      Marguerite-Marie Ostro, Violin
      Mark Rosengarden, Percussion

      Saturday, May 7, 2011

      First Unitarian Universalist Church
      1187 Franklin Street at Geary
      San Francisco

      Sunday, May 8, 2011

      Martin Meyer Sanctuary
      Temple Emanu-El
      2 Lake Street at Arguello
      San Francisco

      Tickets: General $20; in advance & for seniors, $17
      Free admission for students 5-18 with ID.
      Please, no children under five.
      For ticket purchase and further information, visit our website: www.sflc.org
      Contact: (415) 721-4077 or email info@...

      For our Spring 2011 trimester concert, Voices of Immigration, we are
      presenting music inspired by stories from our chorus members. Members of
      the San Francisco Lyric Chorus come from all over the country and abroad.
      Their family journeys tell stories about the amazing variety of life
      adventures our chorus members and their ancestors have had before and after
      coming to the United States. Our program will include the following:

      Austrian-American composer Ernst Toch (1887-1964)¹s Geographical Fugue is a
      spoken geography lesson. It is his most famous work, part of a suite
      entitled Gesprochene Musik (Spoken Music).

      William Byrd¹s (ca,1540-1623) five-part madrigal, All As A Sea, uses the
      life and activities of a 16th century sailor and ships at sea as a metaphor
      for our own lives.

      Italian Jewish composer Salamone Rossi (ca. 1570-ca. 1630) sets text from
      Psalm 137, Al Naharot Bavel (By the Rivers of Babylon), in which captives,
      who have been forced to emigrate to another land, long for their homeland.

      Renaissance composer Heinrich Isaac¹s (ca. 1450-1517) beautiful lament,
      Innsbruck, Ich Muss Dich Lassen, expresses the pain of having to leave a
      place one loves and travel far away.

      Our major work, Antonín Dvorák¹s (1841-1904) five Songs of Nature, speaks of
      the beauty of the natural world‹farm, field, forest‹and how that world
      affects us.

      Wisconsin composer Janike Vandervelde (1955- ) wrote the text (in
      Portuguese) and composed the theme for the lullaby, Cançao de Embalar.
      Minnesota composer-conductor Dale Warland (1932- ) has created a a variation
      on that theme, Boyo Balu.

      American composer and conductor Robert De Cormier¹s (1922- ) arrangement of
      Dortn, Dortn, is the song of a lover who has been ³far away across the
      water, far away across the bridge² from his beloved for three years, and
      begs her to write.

      Canadian composer Stephen Hatfield¹s (1956- ) Take A Step, Œ deals with an
      immigrant mother watching her baby daughter, and wondering how to find an
      equilibrium between the country they've left and the country they've found.¹
      Hatfield¹s setting of Morris Rosenfeld¹s poem Mayn Rue Platz, shares the
      experience of a Jewish immigrant who works on machines in a sweatshop. The
      poem was written in response to the horrific Triangle Shirtwaist Factory
      fire of March 25, 1911.

      Gabriel Fauré¹s (1845-1924) Madrigal tells of the fickleness of love and
      how we can love those who flee from us, as well as flee from those who love

      Canadian composer, organist, and choral conductor Donald Patriquin (1938-)
      sets two Canadian folksongs: Ah! Si Mon Moine Voulait Danser (Oh, If The
      Monk Would Dance With Me) and J¹Entends le Moulin (I Hear The Millwheel).

      J. David Moore¹s (1962- ) arrangement of the hymn, How Can I Keep From
      Singing?, is a San Francisco Lyric Chorus favorite and plays a part in one
      of our chorister¹s stories.

      Helene Whitson
      President, San Francisco Lyric Chorus
      Co-Author, San Francisco Bay Area Chorus Directory
      Founder, San Francisco Bay Area Choral Archive
      1824 Arch Street
      Berkeley, California 94709