Wanted: tenor for barbershop

  • Jordan Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2011
      Constellation, an established competing barbershop quartet, is auditioning for a new tenor.

      The group is the current Northwest Division champion novice quartet, and rehearses in the South Bay (currently Los Gatos, though our members live as far north as Palo Alto and as far south as Santa Cruz).  The group is primarily a competition quartet, though we perform locally as well.  As well as the performance and contest opportunities, we can offer you regular coaching sessions, a repertoire that includes jazz/swing songs (e.g. All of Me, Dream a Little Dream), barbershop classics, and custom arrangements written for and by the group.

      We're looking for:
      - a strong tenor/falsetto voice (comfortable range up to about C5 or D5)
      - availability for 2-3 weekly rehearsals on weeknights or weekends
      - experience singing tight 4-part harmonies
      - a good ear for tuning
      - ability to read music (sight-reading a plus but definitely not necessary)
      - a good team spirit, i.e., willingness to be flexible but assertive and be an equal partner in the group
      - willingness to learn and improve -- "beginner's mind", as they say
      - current Barbershop Harmony Society membership, or willingness to join

      Experience with barbershop would be nice, but certainly is not needed.

      If you're interested, please email constellationquartet@... and let us know who you are.  If you know a tenor who might be interested, please pass this message along.

      Cheers,
      Jordan Johnson
      Bass, Constellation