Third Thursday women's open mic March 17

  • Janet Rachel
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      Third Thursday women's open mic March 17

      Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with us Thursday March 17, at Third Thursday women's open mic talent showcase at Montclair Women's Cultural Arts, 1650 Mountain Blvd. in Oakland, corner of Mountain and Thornhill off Hwy. 13, 7:30 pm. 510-654-4088 for info.  $ 7 - 10 sliding scale at the door.

      Open mic spots fill up fast.  See info. below about how to sign up.  This is an all-women event and all women are welcome: an upbeat community gathering to connect with old friends, meet new ones, and enjoy fantastic entertainment.

      Our feature this month is singer/songwriter CRYSTAL MONEE HALL.  Her music recalls the sepia-toned memories of her southern childhood, with "church girl" musical influences.  She has toured with Disney Entertainment, and the National Tour and Broadway productions of the Tony-Award winning musical RENT.   She has featured at countless Bay Area venues, including Joe's Pub, Yoshi's San Francisco, and the Napa Valley Opera House.  Last spring, NYC choreographer Camille A. Brown & Dancers debuted a new piece set to Ms. Hall's original blues music at The Joyce SoHo, entitled "One Second Past the Future".   Among the amazing artists Crystal has worked with are Spencer Day, Jason Mraz and Elton John, and she is the featured vocalist on Ahrens and Flaherty's score for the Hurricane Katrina documentary, "After the Storm".  <www.crystalmoneehall.com>

      Our Artist In Residence this month is LINDA ATKINSON of Liquid Girlfriend fame, showcasing another of her talents: jewelry making.   She'll be selling her "Curious Chic Creations," or C3, which are a funky, chunky, Mexican, African mix.  Get your shopping on!

      AND...the heart and soul of Third Thursday: YOU, either as performer or audience member.  Drop in for some laughs, songs, poems, prose, instruments, spoken word, and any other talents you have.    Each performer has 5 minutes to do their thing.  It is an evening rich with entertainment.

      For PERFORMANCE SIGN-UP email <janetrac@...>, and arrive before 7:30 to check in.  Show is from 7:30 to 10:00 with an intermission.  Spaces are limited so we can end at 10:00, allowing our volunteer crew to get home at a decent hour and keeping the neighbors happy.   A cappella, acoustic, or plugged in are all welcome.  We have a sound system.

      ARTISTS AND AUTHORS:  If you are a visual artist or author, contact Janet at janetrac@... for information about showing and selling your art or books at Third Thursday.

      Thank you for keeping this event scent-free.  Event is wheelchair accessible.  Let me know at <janetrac@...> if you need disabled access parking *one day in advance.*

      Janet Rachel, Host/MC
      Third Thursday Women's Talent Showcase