AUDITIONS: Pacific Masterworks Chorus in East Bay (Pleasanton/Dublin)

  • timsalaver@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2011
      To our colleagues in the choral arts:

      We're pleased to announce auditions for the Pacific Masterworks Chorus. Led by Artistic Director, Dr. Greg Lyne, and Pianist, Danielle Naler, the Pacific Masterworks Chorus is devoted to high quality choral performance. We embrace a wide variety of repertoire ranging from works of the a cappella tradition through accompanied compositions, including choral masterworks. We seek to perform distinctive choral music that will have value to both our performers and to our audiences. We provide training and education in historical and contemporary choral methods for individual growth and community enrichment.

      AUDITIONS: Jan 5, 12 & 19
      RETREAT: Feb 26
      PERFORMANCES: Mar 26 & 27
      SECTIONALS: Wednesdays, 6:30 – 7:20 pm
      REHEARSALS: Wednesdays, 7:30 - 9:30 pm

      John Knox Presbyterian Church, 7421 Amarillo Road, Dublin
      St. Clare's Episcopal Church, 3350 Hopyard Road, Pleasanton

      To set your appointment, contact Auditions@...

      Our spring concert is "In Praise of Music," performing the following works:

      How Can I Keep From Singing arr. Ronald Staheli
      A Red, Red Rose arr. James Mulholland
      Promised Land arr. Michael Richardson
      Deo Dicamus Gratias/Ave Maris Stella Gottfried Homilius/Estaban Salas
      So Wahr die Sonne Scheinet Robert Schumann
      Zigeunerleben Robert Schumann
      Come Ye Sons of Art Henry Purcell
      Cantique de Jean Racine Gabriel Faure
      Kyrie Eleison from Lord Nelson Mass Franz Joseph Haydn arr Charles Hirt
      Swell the Full Chorus George Frideric Handel
      Music Spread Thy Voice Around George Frideric Handel
      Magnificat Giovanni Pergolesi

      We're pleased to announce our Spring Retreat clinician is Dr. Charlene Archibeque, Interim Director of Choral Activities, San Jose State University. The retreat will be held at the Salvation Army Community Church in Concord.

      Our goals for the Spring are to perform the literature that has been beloved and performed for decades and centuries. The works to be performed were chosen for their joyous and rousing tribute to choral music.

      In addition, we invite you as guests to our rehearsals on Wednesday evenings. As a teaching and learning environment, we strive to encourage and promote high caliber and quality choral singing. If you wish to attend a rehearsal, please send an email to PacificMasterworksChorus@....

      Pacific Masterworks Chorus is honored to have a world-renowned musical and artistic director, Dr. Greg Lyne. Everywhere he teaches and directs, Dr. Lyne brings musical knowledge, a passion for excellence, and a love for the a cappella style. Dr. Lyne works full-time as a coach for choruses and quartets throughout the country and as a clinician for musical ensembles of all types.

      Dr. Lyne is also the Musical Director of Voices in Harmony, northern California's premier mens a cappella chorus. San Jose-based Voices in Harmony is a competitive top 10 chorus in the Barbershop Harmony Society. Since 2006, he has directed the chorus to the Far Western District Chorus Championship and third place international medal.

      Dr. Lyne previously served as Director of Music Education and Services for the Barbershop Harmony Society in Kenosha, Wisconsin. In this capacity, he served the music education programs of the 30,000 member Society, the world's largest male singing organization. At the Society, he coordinated the music publishing program, youth outreach activities, contest and judging system, music recordings and the old song library which houses over 750,000 pieces of popular early American sheet music.

      Dr. Lyne came to his position with the Society from Arizona State University where he was Professor of Music and Director of Choral Activities. He previously served in similar capacities at California State University - Long Beach, DePaul University, Eastern New Mexico University and the University of Washington.

      His reputation in choral directing — of all types of music — extends around the world. He has conducted over 300 Festival and All-State Choirs throughout the U.S., including Alaska and Hawaii, and in Canada, England, Scotland, and Russia. In Russia, he presented master classes at the St. Petersburg Conservatory of Music to European musicians. In fact, through his musical work in Russia, Greg is the only American listed in the Russian version of "Who's Who!" He has also served as guest conductor of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

      A published arranger and composer, Dr. Lyne is a member of a number of organizations, including the American Choral Directors Association and the Music Educators National Conference. He was recognized by the Music Educators National Conference for his "contributions and service to Music Education" and was awarded the Barbershop Harmony Society's Joe Liles Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010. He is listed in the International Who's Who in Classical Music and is the author/producer of a number of articles, workbooks and educational videotapes.

      Dr. Lyne holds a doctorate in choral conducting from the University of Northern Colorado.