Alto needed, Greek hymn recording

  • panos1453@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2009
      Dear Altos,

      I am producing a CD of previously unrecorded Greek Orthodox hymns as a tribute on the occasion of the 45th anniversary of my father's ordination to the Orthodox priesthood, as well as a tribute to celebrated Greek Orthodox composers who since the 1950s have arranged the Byzantine chants of Greece into westernized versions for mixed Greek Orthodox choirs in the U.S. I have personally spoken with each composer or composer's estate and obtained permission to record ~10 previously unrecorded hymns. The music is not well known outside of Greek circles, so it rarely gets the attention of professional choirs.

      I have secured ten (of twelve, ideally) accomplished volunteer singers including a former Chanticleer tenor and need one more alto. We have a wonderful rehearsal and recording venue, St. Teresa of Avila in San Francisco, well known for its superb acoustics. All rehearsals and recording will take place during the week of August 24-31, 2009, and I will cover transportation for all the singers. The goal is to make the CD widely available to the Greek Orthodox communities in the United States as well as to the general public.

      The time commitment is fairly minimal (3 rehearsals and 3 recording sessions) and this is a great opportunity to be part of and credited for a unique and professionally executed singing project.

      Rehearse:
      Monday, August 24: 7-10pm
      Tuesday, August 25: 7-10pm
      Thursday, August 27: 7-10pm

      Record:
      Friday, August 28: 7-10pm
      Sunday, August 30: 6-9pm
      Monday, August 31: 7-10pm

      If you are interested please email or call me and I can send you sample hymns as well as singers and director bios.

      Many thanks for your consideration. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

      Kind regards,

      Panos
      --
      Panos Philandrinos