Oakland Jazz Choir SEEKING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR

  • Heather Fong
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2009
      Oakland Jazz Choir SEEKING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR

      Location: Oakland, California, USA

      Web page: http://www.oaklandjazzchoir.com

      The Oakland Jazz Choir is currently seeking an Artistic Director.
      Position is part-time (monthly stipend negotiable, see ** below). The
      choir is a year-round project. We invite all candidates to visit our
      website at www.oaklandjazzchoir.com to become familiar with our
      organization or e-mail us at audition@...

      for more information or to apply.

      Qualifications:

      -Experience as a choral music director, with a strong jazz background

      -Ability to work with adults of different racial and ethnic
      backgrounds and various levels of musical experience and training

      -Ability to teach effectively by ear and with written music

      -Organized and able to delegate tasks when appropriate

      -Experience with directing instrumentalists

      -A team player!

      Duties:

      -Assumes overall responsibility for preparing, rehearsing and
      conducting weekly rehearsals, additional sectionals, concerts
      (various days/eves), local outreach (educational presentations at
      various Oakland schools, 2-4 times/yr).

      -Develops repertoire by researching and commissioning arrangements
      and selects music to be performed at concerts, making sure it is in
      alignment with the choir�s artistic mission and the nature of the
      performance event.

      -Conducts rehearsals according to the following schedule:

      --Weekly rehearsals 7-10 pm every Wednesday requiring rehearsal plans

      --One Wednesday per month from 6-7 pm for small group or sectional
      rehearsals

      --Extra rehearsals as the Artistic Director deems necessary to
      prepare quality concerts.

      -Conducts auditions annually and as required to maintain and grow
      choir membership, quality and diversity.

      -Performs administrative functions as necessary with the support of
      the Executive Director, Choir Manager, Program Manager, Choir Council
      and section leaders.

      -Works to remain within the choir budget.

      **OJC is a Non-Profit Organization and currently in transition. We
      seek an experienced and motivated musical director open to working
      with a fun, unique, and dedicated group of singers. The economic
      challenges of the day have affected all of the arts and artistic
      groups; OJC is feeling those affects as well. But we are committed to
      getting through these tough times with our love of Jazz, Singing,
      Learning, and Community. We want potential Directors to be aware of
      our temporary financial limitations, and therefore seek someone as
      dedicated to our mission as we are.

      Mission of the Oakland Jazz Choir

      -To build an appreciation of and audience for jazz vocal music

      -To promote respect for the cultural roots of jazz

      -To provide concerts that reflect the diversity of jazz

      -To offer a basis for community across racial, ethnic, and economic
      lines

      -To help members enhance vocal and choral skills and learn and
      perform jazz

      -To experience the joy of making music together