AMARANTH (new vocal jazz ensemble) Audition Announcement

  • amaranthjazz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2009
      The Choral Project, the award-winning Bay Area choir hailed by the
      Mercury News as "one of the best choirs you will ever hear" is forming
      a new, small, mixed, a cappella vocal jazz ensemble called
      AMARANTH. The group's repertoire will feature a broad range of styles
      including straight-ahead jazz, contemporary a cappella, and world
      music.

      =============
      About AMARANTH
      =============
      AMARANTH (AM-uh-ranth) [ˈæməˌrænθ]
      1. noun: a small, imaginary, undying flower whose bloom never fades;
      2. noun: a flower found in many diverse cultures, known for its
      ornamental bloom, nutty taste, and healing properties.

      AMARANTH seeks to explore to vocal traditions from around the world,
      while honoring long established traditions in vocal jazz and
      contemporary a cappella. Like its namesake, AMARANTH's musical
      offering with bloom AMARANTH will share TCP's VISION of "healing our
      world through music and words," but will have its own MISSION as to
      how to achieve that VISION.

      Auditions for AMARANTH (the jazz group) will be only 6 or 7
      singers. We are seeking people with previous jazz experience (those
      who get the different styles, who can scat, etc.).

      ====================
      Auditioning for AMARANTH
      ====================

      The first phase of auditions for this group will take place on
      Saturday, August 22nd: 1:30 to 5:30 PM. Singers are to sign up for a
      time slots (20 minutes each). We ask that the singer bring in a
      standard jazz chart that shows they have a good sense of style and
      such. We are hoping for singers who have previous jazz experience who
      can handle straight-ahead jazz, contemporary a cappella, scatting,
      etc. If the singer passes the first round of auditions, we will ask
      them back for Round 2 on Saturday, September 12: 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM,
      giving them time to learn portions of three different styled
      charts. We will also do voice matching and such at that time. The
      initial auditions and callbacks will be held at Foothill Presbyterian
      Church, 5301 Mckee Rd San Jose, CA 95127-2292.

      Rehearsals for AMARANTH

      Rehearsals will be coordinated by the collective availability of the
      final membership. Rehearsals will be held at Foothill Presbyterian
      Church, 5301 Mckee Rd San Jose, CA 95127-2292.

      Interested? Contact Daniel Hughes at artisticdir@... for
      more information. Jazz solo voice and ensemble experience preferred.