E. Bay: 3rd Thursday women's open mic June 18

  • Janet Rachel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      Join us Thursday, June 18 for a *fabulous last show of the season* at
      Third Thursday women's open mic talent showcase at Montclair Women's
      Cultural Arts, 1650 Mountain Blvd. in Oakland, corner of Mountain and
      Thornhill off Hwy. 13, 7:30 pm. 510-654-4088 for info. $ 7 - 10
      sliding scale at the door. We will be taking our summer break and
      back again in September.

      Open mic spots are filling up already!! See info. below about how to sign up.

      This is an all-women event and all women are welcome.

      You don't want to miss this Pride show! This month's feature is
      singer-songwriter MELANIE DeMORE. Melanie uses her remarkable voice
      to weave the fibers of African American folk with soulful ballads,
      spirituals and original music. She has met with and performed with
      some of the most inspiring musical activists of our time: Pete
      Seeger, Odetta, Michael Franti, Ronnie Gilbert and Holly Near to name
      just a few. A political activist, she uses her music to affect
      social change, and was a founding member of the Grammy-nominated
      vocal ensemble Linda Tillery and the Cultural Heritage Choir for 18
      years. Her belief in the power of the voice: "A song can keep you
      on your feet when there seems to be no ground beneath you."

      Two Artists In Residence this month!
      ELANA DYKEWOMON will be featuring her third novel, Risk, a
      beautifully told story that spans the years from the mid-eighties to
      the post-9/11 world. Exploring the consequences of war, gambling and
      life in Oakland's lesbian community, Dykewomon reveals changing times
      and values in America with depth and humor. She will do a short
      reading.
      DJ HAMOURIS will be exhibiting and selling her hand-dyed shibori on
      silk accessories, as well as textile arts: hand-dyed yarn & knitted
      items.

      AND...the heart and soul of Third Thursday: YOU, either as performer
      or audience member. Drop in for some laughs, songs, poems, prose,
      instruments, spoken word, and any other talents you have. Each
      performer has 5 minutes to do their thing, sometimes more in the
      second half if time allows. It is an evening rich with entertainment.

      For PERFORMANCE SIGN-UP email <janetrac@...>, and arrive
      before 7:30 to check in. Show is from 7:30 to 10:00 with an
      intermission. Spaces are limited so we can end at 10:00, allowing
      our volunteer crew get get home at a decent hour and keeping the
      neighbors happy. A cappella, acoustic, or plugged in are all
      welcome. We have a keyboard and a sound system.

      Thank you for keeping this event scent-free. Event is wheelchair
      accessible. Let me know at <janetrac@...> if you need
      disabled access parking *one day in advance.*

      Janet Rachel, Host/MC
      Third Thursday Women's Talent Showcase