Fwd: MODERATE -- sjrobitaille@sbcglobal.net posted to ba-acappella

  • Ping Huang
      ------- Forwarded Message

      From: "Stephen Robitaille" <sjrobitaille@...>
      To: "Ping Huang" <pshuang@...>
      Subject: Re: MODERATE -- sjrobitaille@... posted to ba-acappella
      Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 20:47:00 -0800

      Hello Ping,

      Thank you for your email, and I'd like to give you some feedback. I
      don't think we are over-using the message group, and more importantly,
      I think our group and lots of other groups depend on this venue to
      spread the news about our activities.

      In our case, our new semester starts in February. I sent out an
      announcement Dec. 12, before the holidays, Jan. 6, after the holidays,
      and one more this week. I am not planning to send any more out for
      this semester.

      I see a number of choirs and groups making multiple posts and, as a
      member of this message group, I don't find this troubling at all. For
      example, I got a posting today from Starry Knights, a group which
      seems to post for new members about once a month. I have gotten a good
      number of posts in recent weeks from a new community choir in Contra
      Costa County, which is seeking members and venues. Further, I see
      multiple postings (often weekly) when choirs are holding auditions;
      the Oakland Jazz Choir and the SF Bach Choir come to mind.

      I think this kind of communcation is what message groups are here to
      do. I do not worry about choirs and singing groups making multiple
      posts, as I see it as a part of a vibrant musical culture. I would
      hope that you are not asking these organizations to stop sending
      emails, as I would hate to think their networking and choir-building
      efforts are being curtailed.

      Stephen Robitaille
      Ofc: (510) 531-8062
      Cell: (510) 295-8345