San Francisco Lyric Chorus Spring 2009 Auditions

  • Helene Whitson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
      The San Francisco Lyric Chorus, under the direction of Robert Gurney,
      invites singers to join us for our Spring 2009 trimester. We have openings
      in all parts.

      Tenors and Basses especially are needed.

      Program: Look North! Look South!: Music from Canada and Brazil

      José Maurícío Nuñes García (1767-1830, Afro-Brazilian composer)‹Requiem
      Stephen Chatman‹Two Rossetti Songs
      Stephen Chatman--Gloria
      Healey Willan‹O Sing Unto The Lord A New Song
      Healey Willan‹Rise Up, My Love
      Imant Raminsh‹Ave Verum Corpus
      Ruth Watson Henderson‹Sing All Ye Joyful
      Srul Irving Glick‹What I Have Learned Is This
      Srul Irving Glick‹The Hour Has Come

      Rehearsals begin Monday, January 12, 2009

      Rehearsals are held on Monday nights from 7:15-9:45 p.m. at Trinity
      Episcopal Church, Bush & Gough Streets, San Francisco.

      To arrange for an audition (ability to blend and sing in tune, some sight
      reading skill expected) or obtain further information, contact Music
      Director Robert Gurney at 415-775-5111 or rgurney@....

      Our concerts will be held on Saturday, April 25, 2009 at 8 p.m. and Sunday,
      April 26, 2009 at 5 p.m.

      For our Spring 2009 trimester, we will be sampling an exciting variety of
      music from Canada and Brazil.

      José Maurícío Nuñes García (1767-1830) is a remarkable composer. Grandson
      of slaves, he is known as the Brazilian Mozart. He was a priest, composer,
      singer, violinist, pianist, teacher of prominent Brazilian composers, and
      chapel master to the court-in-exile of Portuguese King João IV. He
      introduced Brazil to the works of Mozart and Haydn and other European
      composers. His Requiem is reminiscent of Mozart¹s great work. It is,
      however, totally his.

      Stephen Chatman is a Professor and Head of the Composition Department at the
      University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. His Two Rossetti Songs
      are lyrical settings of profound and sensitive poems by Christina Rossetti.
      His Gloria is an energetic, rhythmic contrast.

      Healey Willan is considered the father of Canadian choral music. He was
      trained in the English cathedral style. O Sing Unto The Lord A New Song is
      a grand anthem in that tradition. Rise Up, My Love is probably the most well
      known of his anthems, a gorgeous setting of a text from the Song of Solomon.

      Imant Raminsh is a Latvian émigré to Canada. His Ave Verum Corpus is an
      exquisite work in the Eastern Orthodox tradition.

      Ruth Watson Henderson is a composer, pianist and teacher. Sing All Ye
      Joyful is a delightful setting of text from J. R. R. Tolkien¹s The Hobbit.

      Srul Irving Glick was one of Canada¹s most performed and recorded composers.
      His music is lyrical and lush in tonality, called romantic by some,
      reflective of the feelings and modes of his Jewish musical heritage. What I
      Have Learned Is This is a movement from Glick¹s musical memorial to Leonard
      Bernstein, with text from Ecclesiastes in a gentle, humorous setting. The
      Hour Has Come is the last movement of a six-part work with that title, soft
      and lyrical in expressing the beauty of the earth and dramatic in warning
      that we must come together in harmony before we and the earth perish.

      For further information about us, check our website at http://www.sflc.org