AMERICAN TREASURES - June 6, 7, 8 in Campbell, San Francisco and Palo Alto

  • Mary Holzer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30 2:57 PM
      Cantabile Chorale presents AMERICAN TREASURES

      We celebrate our American choral heritage with classics by our nation’s grandmaster
      composers, arrangements from the golden age of song, contemporary gems, and rousing
      spirituals.

      Our program includes Samuel Barber’s Reincarnations, Aaron Copland’s In the Beginning,
      Charles Ives’ Psalm 67 and Randall Thompson’s Alleluia, as well as works by George
      Gershwin, Cole Porter, Leonard Bernstein, and more!

      Join Cantabile Chorale and Artistic Director Sanford Dole for a wonderful evening of
      American Song!

      Concert locations and times:

      Campbell:
      Friday, June 6, 8:00 pm
      Campbell United Methodist Church
      1675 Winchester Blvd.

      San Francisco:
      Saturday, June 7, 8:00 pm
      St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church
      500 De Haro at Mariposa

      Palo Alto:
      Sunday, June 8, 4:30 pm
      St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
      600 Colorado Ave.

      Join us for our pre-concert lectures 30 minutes prior to each performance.

      Please come to Cantabile's final 2008 concert - American Treasures. We perform three
      times - in Campbell, San Francisco and Palo Alto, June 6 - 8. (Specifics below.)

      For Cantabile, this is an unusual concert in that everything is by American composers,
      sung entirely in English. That however, is not the most important thing about this
      concert. In the 2007 June concert the Chorale made a foray into popular music with a set
      of Beatles songs, which were extremely popular with the audience, and a lot of fun for the
      singers! So this year Sanford decided that Cantabile should do a concert that honored a
      set of classical American musical treasures. Some of the works will be familiar to our
      audiences - Randall Thompson's Alleluia (incredibly wonderful to sing), songs by Gershwin,
      Porter and Bernstein, spirituals - but some will be less familiar, or not often performed
      - pieces by Charles Ives and Eric Whitacre, Samuel Barber's Reincarnations.

      The "Reincarnations" are in particular unlike anything I've ever sung. According to
      Sanford's program notes (also attached) the texts of the three songs are by James
      Stephens, an Irish author in the last century, but they are based on texts by Anthony
      Raftery, one of the great blind Irish bards of the 18th century, who had translated them
      from the original Gaelic. Two are love songs - highly unusual love songs - and the third
      is a tribute to an Irish martyr, Anthony O'Daly, which raises the hair on the back of my
      neck every time we sing it.

      It's a pretty exciting concert with a lot of variety in musical styles, the pieces
      themselves and we'll break into some small groups for several of the pieces. The program
      is listed below. And I've also attached a copy of Sanford's program notes, in case you'd
      like more information in depth on the various pieces.

      Finally, if you come to the Palo Alto concert, we're having a party at intermission!

      Tickets:
      General $25 Seniors $20 Students $6
      Buy tickets online at www.cantabile.org, from the Cantabile office at 650.424.1410, or at
      the performance.

      Cantabile Chorale American Treasures Program: June 2008

      Samuel Barber: Reincarnations
      Mary Hines
      Anthony O'Daly
      The Coolin

      Randall Thompson: Alleluia

      Charles Ives: Psalm 67
      Eric Whitacre: Sleep

      Aaron Copland: In the Beginning

      -intermission-

      Arr. Alice Parker: Hark I Hear the Harps Eternal
      Arr. Alice Parker: God is Seen

      Henry Mollicone: National Weather Forecast
      Arr Dole: The Shadow of Your Smile

      Cole Porter arr. David Blackwell: Let’s Do It (small group)
      Bernstein: Somewhere
      George and Ira Gershwin arr. Christopher Clapham: I got Rhythm (small group)

      Amazing Grace
      Hal Leonard arr. Moses Hogan: Elijah Rock