San Francisco Lyric Chorus Spring 2008 Concert

  • Helene Whitson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2008
      The San Francisco Lyric Chorus, under the direction of Robert Gurney,
      presents: An American Sampler

      Saturday, April 26, 2008
      8 p.m.
      Sunday, April 27, 2008
      5 p.m.
      Trinity Episcopal Church
      Bush & Gough Streets
      San Francisco

      Tickets: General $20; Seniors & Advance, $17
      Free admission for students 5-18
      Please, no children under five
      Visit our website: www.sflc.org
      For information call (415) 721-4077

      PROGRAM:

      Randall Thompson--The Last Words of David
      Lukas Foss--Cool Prayers from The Prairie
      Virgil Thomson--Four Southern Hymns:
      My Shepherd Will Supply My Need
      The Morning Star
      Death, 'Tis A Melancholy Day
      Greenfields
      Robert Train Adams--It Will Be Summer-Eventually (West Coast premiere)
      Mother Ann's Song (Shaker)
      Jeremiah Ingalls--Northfield
      Alfred Marcus Cagle--Soar Away
      Emma Lou Diemer--Three Madrigals
      Samuel Barber--The Monk and His Cat
      Irving Fine--The Lobster Quadrille and Father William from
      Alice in Wonderland
      Daniel Gawthrop--Close Now Thine Eyes
      Eric Whitacre--Sleep
      Steven Sametz--I Have Had Singing
      Sheldon Curry, arr.--Down To The River To Pray
      J. David Moore, arr.--How Can I Keep From Singing

      FEATURING:

      Robert Train Adams, Piano/Organ

      This spring, the San Francisco Lyric Chorus presents an exciting sampler of
      American choral music. We¹ll raise the roof with traditional shape
      note/sacred harp compositions, which are rousing hymns from the American
      south. We¹ll sing variations of that format by composers Virgil Thomson,
      Alfred Marcus Cagle and J. David Moore. We¹ll perform Sheldon Curry¹s
      arrangement of Down To The River To Pray, an energetic version of the hymn
      made popular by Alison Krauss in the film, O Brother, Where Art Thou?
      Mother Ann¹s Song is an example of soulful, wordless Shaker music.

      We¹ll explore a variety of music by modern and contemporary American
      composers, including the West Coast premiere of It Will Be Summer‹Eventually
      by our Assistant Conductor/Accompanist, Robert Train Adams. Dr. Adams sets
      for a cappella chorus eight poems by the beloved American poet, Emily
      Dickinson, all linked by the refrain: It will be summer‹eventually.

      We will sing additional pairings of music and literature‹Samuel Barber¹s
      delightful setting of W.H. Auden¹s translation of an eighth century Irish
      poem about a monk and his cat; Emma Lou Diemer¹s spirited settings of three
      Shakespeare texts; Irving Fine¹s witty settings of two poems from Lewis
      Carroll¹s Alice in Wonderland; Lukas Foss¹ Cool Prayers, an evocative choral
      selection from his cantata, The Prairie, with text by Carl Sandburg, and
      Eric Whitacre¹s luscious setting of Charles Anthony Silvestri¹s beautiful
      poem, Sleep.

      We also will perform Daniel Gawthrop¹s gentle setting of an English
      Renaissance prayer, Close Now Thine Eyes; Steven Sametz¹s touching setting
      of I Have Had Singing, and Randall Thompson¹s powerful Last Words of David.