San Francisco Lyric Chorus Spring 2008 Auditions

  • Helene Whitson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2008
      The San Francisco Lyric Chorus, under the direction of Robert Gurney,
      invites singers to join us for our Spring 2008 trimester.

      Tenors and basses needed especially.

      Program: An American Sampler

      Robert Train Adams: It Will Be Summer--Eventually
      Samuel Barber: The Monk and His Cat
      Alfred Marcus Cagle: Soar Away
      Sheldon Curry, arr.: Down To The River To Pray
      Emma Lou Diemer: Three Madrigals
      Daniel Gawthrop: Close Now Thine Eyes
      Irving Fine: Lobster Quadrille and Father William from Alice in Wonderland
      Lukas Foss: Cool Prayers from The Prairie
      Jeremiah Ingalls: Northfield
      Daniel Locklair: Break Away
      J. David Moore: How Can I Keep From Singing
      Steven Sametz: I Have Had Singing
      Randall Thompson: The Last Words of David
      Virgil Thomson: Four Southern Hymns: My Shepherd Will Supply My Need;
      Morning Star; Greenfields; Death, 'Tis A Melancholy Day
      Eric Whitacre: Sleep
      Wordless Shaker Song: Mother Ann's Song

      To arrange for an audition or obtain further information, contact Music
      Director Robert Gurney at 415-775-5111 or rgurney@...

      Rehearsals are held on Monday nights from 7:15-9:45 p.m. at Trinity
      Episcopal Church, Bush & Gough Streets, San Francisco.

      Chorus fees are $75 per trimester plus music.

      Visit the San Francisco Lyric Chorus website at http://www.sflc.org

      For our Spring 2008 trimester, we will be sampling an exciting variety of
      American music.

      Several of the compositions reflect the shape note tradition, including
      traditional selections by Jeremiah Ingalls and A.M. Cagle, and adaptations
      by Virgil Thomson and J. David Moore.

      We will sing works by contemporary composers including Shakespeare settings
      by Emma Lou Diemer, an English Renaissance prayer set by Daniel Gawthrop, a
      jazzy piece by Daniel Locklair, a sensitive text about singing by Steven
      Sametz, and the luxurious eight-part a cappella work, Sleep, by Eric
      Whitacre. We also will sing our Assistant Conductor Robert Adams' setting
      of the Emily Dickinson poem, It Will Be Summer--Eventually.

      We will have charm and whimsy, too, singing Samuel Barber's delightful
      setting of a text about an eighth century Irish monk and his cat, as well as
      Irving Fine's witty settings of poems from Alice in Wonderland.

      Lukas Foss' Cool Prayers in an evocative choral selection taken from his
      cantata, The Prairie. With text by Carl Sandburg, the composition speaks of
      a farm evening on the prairie. Sheldon Curry's arrangement of the
      Appalachian folk hymn, Down To The River To Pray, is an exciting version of
      this familiar tune.

      Randall Thompson is an American romantic, best known for his Alleluia. The
      Last Words of David is a gorgeous piece of choral writing, with lush organ
      accompaniment.