See Solstice (Top 3 in the 2007 nat'l sweeps) this Saturday in San Geronimo

  • Hannah Doress
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2008
      National Top 3 A cappella Sensation to Serenade the Center
      Fresh from Recording CD #3, Solstice Promises to Shine

      San Geronimo - Following two sold-out standing ovation concerts at San
      Geronimo in as many years it's hard to imagine how this year's a
      cappella performance by Solstice could please the audience any
      more. The female septet will again select from a repertoire of 16
      languages and 9 centuries including world folk, pop, classical and
      more in their concert on Saturday, February 9th at 8pm at the San
      Geronimo Valley Community Center, 6350 Sir Francis Drake Blvd in San
      Geronimo 9 miles west of San Rafael. With selections ranging from
      Finnish, Macedonian & Japanese Folk, Bluegrass and Jazz as well as
      music from Palestrina, Joni Mitchell, Aretha Franklin, Edith Piaf and
      Bjork including original arrangements and original music, the 12-year
      old ensemble keeps stretching their limits.

      "Our audiences have been enthralled by Solstice," says Community
      Center event programmer Hannah Doress, "I'm proud to have introduced
      them to our community and I'm amazed at how they have reached a
      completely new level of musicianship this year." Solstice has also
      reached a new level of visibility and recognition - first winning the
      2007 San Francisco Regional Harmony Sweepstakes a cappella competition
      and award for best original arrangement (for Becca Burrington's
      arrangement of Joni Mitchell's song Blue) in San Francisco and then
      placing in the top 3 at the legendary national Harmony Sweeps which
      took place in San Rafael in a packed Civic Center auditorium this May.
      Not content to rest on these laurels the hard-working group hit the
      studio and is just completing their new album. While the CD will not
      be pressed in time for the Marin performance, attendees will receive
      free shipping for any CDs they order. "We're thrilled to come back to
      the Community Center again and I love performing in my home
      community," says Fairfax's Emily Bender, a soprano who joined Solstice
      in 2004 and who is also a nutrition consultant and owner of the
      Fairfax-based Nutrition for the Whole Family, "We love the audiences
      that come to see us in San Geronimo and are excited to again premiere
      a new song for them."

      In the past the versatile group has tied for a runner-up slot in the
      2001 A Capella Community Awards with the internationally famous Sweet
      Honey in the Rock (Solstice's repertoire includes Sweet Honey song
      "Stay"), they've been seen at Freight and Salvage, Trinity Chamber
      Music Series, Noe Valley Ministries and many other venues. Members
      have performed in Carnegie Hall at the invitation of Meredith Monk,
      with Yo-Yo Ma, and have sung in the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, with
      the Grammy-nominated Pacific Mozart Ensemble and at the Aspen
      Festival. Advance ticket purchase recommended. Find out more about
      Solstice or listen to their music at www.SolsticeSings.com.

      This event has a high likelihood of selling out again and we
      recommend, but do not require, advance ticket purchase. Please order
      your will call tickets by clicking on the green "Buy Tickets Now" link
      at http://www.sgvcc.org/artsevents/centerevents.html. Or if you
      prefer, bring or send in your check today to Hannah Doress SGVCC Box
      194 San Geronimo CA 94963. Make checks out to SGVCC and put Solstice
      in the check note and tell me how many tix you need. All our tickets
      are held under your name at will call (ignore the credit card system's
      implication that we will mail tix to you, they'll be at the
      door). Please call 415-488-8888 or visit www.sgvcc.org
      <http://www.sgvcc.org/> for more information.

      ###
      Hannah Doress