Tsunami relief - and continuing Bay Area groups' efforts...

  • Kevin Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2007
      Hello fellow Singers, and Patrons of the Vocal Art,

      It was three years ago today that the devastating Tsunami in the Indian Ocean killed over 229,000 people in 14 countries and affected the lives of over 2 Million people. Americans responded with compassion and love. It is interesting to note that the efforts still continue. I have included two links for your review of the ongoing efforts, one from CARE International, and one from the American Red Cross.

      Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, for those who remember, we held a series of small a cappella concerts to help with the relief effort. To be honest, I am not sure that we did any follow up with some of you to let you know how we did! Just as a re-cap, I want you to know that our small efforts led to well over $15K in contributions towards CARE International, and their efforts to help those in need during the crisis.

      As you may know from news reports, giving has decreased throughout America in these uncertain times. However, I encourage you to read the attached information, and consider giving in your own way!

      http://www.care.org/careswork/emergencies/tsunami/

      http://www.redcross.org/images/pdfs/TRP3YrReport.pdf

      On May 10, 2008, many of the San Francisco Bay Area Chapters of the Barbershop Harmony Society will be engaged in another relief effort. We will be part of a massive Blood Drive throughout North America. The details of our activities are not yet "mapped out", but I will keep you informed. As you may be aware, blood supplies throughout the world are dangerously low, and we believe that through a concerted effort, we will make an impact!

      If you, or your group (any form of vocal art - or small instrumental ensemble), would like to get involved with our Blood Drive, please, "drop me a line". As I have stated, we are not sure of the final plan yet, as we are in the early stages of preparation. I am sure there will be many opportunities to support this great cause.

      It is my personal wish that each of you have a wonderful and prosperous New Year in 2008.

      In Harmony,

      Kevin P. Smith, PMP
      Far Western District: Chairman - Marketing and Public Relations
      www.ndchorus.com