FW: Westwind Voices 1999-2000 auditions

  • Paul Sinasohn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 1999
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Leonora, Suzanne [mailto:Suzanne.Leonora@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 1999 12:48 PM

      Hi everybody! Please post/forward liberally, especially in men's
      locker rooms!

      AUDITIONS FOR WESTWIND VOICES, 1999-2000 SEASON: Auditions will be
      held in Oakland on Tuesday, September 7th, from 7 pm to 10 pm. For
      specific time and place, call the Director, Suzanne Leonora, at
      510-547-8345. All ages etc. are welcome, but we ask that anyone under
      16 bring a parent or guardian to each rehearsal and performance.

      What we require:
      1) Ability to hold a harmony part
      2) Interest in traditional musics, especially of the U.S. and Eastern Europe
      3) Commitment to rehearsals (12-5pm in Alameda on the first Sunday of every
      month, 7:15-10pm in Berkeley on Tuesdays)
      4) Commitment to performances with sufficient notice, like two or three
      months
      5) "Program service fees", currently $10/month (work scholarships available)

      What you get:
      1) A delightful, hardworking, caring bunch of people to sing with
      2) Membership in Westwind International Folk Ensemble. To quote our website
      (www.westwind-folk.org) <http://www.westwind-folk.org)> , Westwind
      International Folk Ensemble is a non-profit performing ensemble dedicated to
      the preservation through performance of authentic folk styles and traditions
      of dance, music, and song with a unique emphasis on cultural context. Our
      suites are drawn from ethnic celebrations, historic events, and the lives of
      real people; every attempt is made to preserve original folk traditions.
      3) Performances large and small (about two intense weekends a year, plus
      eight or ten other things)
      4) Training in traditional styles
      5) A place in the tour to Italy, Greece and Turkey next summer

      The current season's repertoire plans include Bulgarian, Croatian, Georgian
      (former Soviet Republic), Yiddish, shape-note, white gospel, and Hungarian
      songs, plus more American TBA (doo-wop? Andrews Sisters? barbershop?). At
      least two suites will integrate dancers and singers.