San Francisco Lyric Chorus Fall 2007 Auditions

  • Helene Whitson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2007
      The San Francisco Lyric Chorus, under the direction of Robert Gurney,
      invites singers to join us for our Fall 2007 trimester.

      Openings in all parts. Altos, tenors and basses needed especially.

      PROGRAM:

      Francis Poulenc--Gloria
      Francesco Durante--Magnificat
      Franz Schubert--Magnificat
      Herbert Howells--Hymn for St. Cecilia
      Herbert Howells--Magnificat Collegium Regale
      Arvo Pärt--Magnificat

      To arrange for an audition or obtain further information, contact music
      Director Robert Gurney at 415-775-5111 or rgurney@...

      Rehearsals are held on Monday nights from 7:15-9:45 p.m. at Trinity
      Episcopal Church, Bush & Gough Streets, San Francisco

      REHEARSALS BEGIN MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2007

      Chorus fees are $75 per trimester plus music.

      Visit the San Francisco Lyric Chorus website at http://www.sflc.org

      Our major work, Francis Poulenc¹s Gloria, is a beautiful example of the
      creative abilities of this 20th century French master--energetic and
      haunting, playful and thoughtful. The Magnificat by Durante is a delightful
      18th century Italian mystery. No one is quite certain who composed
      it‹-Francesco Durante, or his student, Giovanni Pergolesi. Whoever it was
      had a wonderful sense of melody and joy in music. Franz Schubert¹s
      Magnificat exhibits all the hallmarks of his larger Masses‹rich sonorities
      and gentle lyricism. The rarely heard Herbert Howells Hymn for St. Cecilia,
      with text by Ursula Vaughan Williams, is a small jewel with the soaring
      sounds one expects from Howells. His Magnificat Collegium Regale contains
      those same ethereal sounds, as well as forceful, driving passages. Arvo
      Pärt¹s Magnificat is a spare, mystical composition of long, flowing lines
      and pure tone.