Re: Uniform Questions

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2007
      In several fo the groups I have directed, there have been women
      (sometimes of the lesbian persuasian) who do do not wish to wear
      dresses. This can be a difficult and sensitive subject, and must be
      handled with care. As a director, I always had an idea in mind, or
      maybe one or two, and then, as the group discussesd the issue, I was
      quick to agree with the idea that conformed most closely to my
      original concept! That being said, I think you have to think of what
      would appeal (or be the least noticable) to the audience. If the rest
      of the women were in black skirts, one woman wearing the same blouse
      but black pants would problably not stand out too much.

      There are many on-line vendors selling tuxes, some for $100 or under.
      What we had with one chamber choir I directed was black pants for the
      men, and black coats. It so happened that everyone had a tux coat. We
      added gold bowties and gold cumberbunds. For the ladies, white
      blouses and straight black skirts, with a gold sash belt which
      matched the cumberbunds. One of the choir ladies sewed them. I let
      the ladies decide the skirt stlye amongst themselves. One pointer,
      though. Be sure all the skirts are the same height off the floor
      (measured with the shoes they will wwear to the performance). I also
      required a fukll dress rehearsla 1 week before the concert. This
      helped to insure that everone would have their uniform correct and
      complete at the concert (Note: Always cary a few spare accessories
      yourself!).

      As far as cost, if your group has a positive cash flow (which I never
      had!) then each member paid for their own. We tried to keep it to
      things everyone would have in their closet. A white shirt or blouse,
      even a tux coat sometimes, can be picked up from a thrift store, and
      will look fine on stage. I believe the mens' bow ties and cuberbunds
      were $15-20 and the girls sashes were $5 in material cost.

      Good luck!