Re: [ba-acappella] Uniform Questions

  • Scott Adler
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10 10:00 AM
      This is a really tough one!

      I think as a group you have to decide how much you are going for
      _uniform_. Are you requiring everyone to exactly match, or are you
      looking to set up guidelines?

      A lot depends on your group and the personalities. I've been in groups
      where we all wore tuxes/dresses and they were specific - exact style
      and colors.

      I've seen many groups pull off a black/white/gray look where everyone
      can pick things that flatter them. Like a wedding party - it is very
      difficult to find one dress that fits all body types. If you go with
      guidelines, you may have better luck, but you do need to make sure
      that you have specific issues ironed out in advance - what is
      acceptable, how you decide, etc. For men you have to decide if you are
      going to allow tails vs regular. Bowties vs regual ties. Vests, etc.

      If you go for the second option, you are also asking people to put in
      a little more time in finding something, but also allows people to use
      something that they may already have.

      2. Tuxes:

      Check the rental companies, they typically will have good deals on
      tuxedos for sale.

      3. Cost

      The biggest issue here is turnover and ownership. If the group pays
      for all the outfits, does the group own them? What happens when
      someone leaves, or you add new members? Getting this in writing helps
      everyone out so that there are no hard feelings when someone leaves or
      is added.

      Personally if you are doing a full fledged uniform look, I think the
      group should cover most if not all of it. That way you can have the
      expectation that these items are going to be only used for concert
      wear, and always be in good shape.

      If you are doing a style/look I'd suggest doing a group stipend for
      people to use as they see fit. Enough to cover a sensible option that
      you've all decided on, but if you happen to use something from your
      own wardrobe you can use the money on something else.

      -Scott

      On Sep 9, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Mark Penn wrote:

      > Hello Group: Our little ensemble, Cantiamo Sonoma, is going to the
      > next
      > level in terms of uniforms. We have decided to formalize the look
      > and go
      > with tuxes and floor-length dresses. But, of course, there are not
      > many
      > subjects that throw a group into turmoil more than what to wear.
      > I'd like
      > to get a few ideas from this group, rather than re-invent the wheel
      > here.
      > Any thoughts and/or experience you have on the following questions
      > will be
      > greatly appreciated:
      >
      > 1. Options - We have at least one or two women who absolutely hate
      > the
      > thought of dresses, even more so of formal dresses. One of them is
      > willing
      > to wear a tux, but I'm not sure we like that option either - strikes
      > me as
      > too distracting. Does any group have a third option available to
      > their
      > singers - something that appears somewhat formal but does not
      > necessarily
      > fall into the same definition as a ladies' "dress"?
      >
      > 2. Tuxes - I've found several possibilities, but does anyone have
      > experience (good or bad) with a particular company?
      >
      > 3. Cost - In your groups, who pays for what?
      >

      > Anything else anyone wants to share would be most welcome.
      >

      > Thanks.

    • Barry
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10 11:36 AM
        In several fo the groups I have directed, there have been women
        (sometimes of the lesbian persuasian) who do do not wish to wear
        dresses. This can be a difficult and sensitive subject, and must be
        handled with care. As a director, I always had an idea in mind, or
        maybe one or two, and then, as the group discussesd the issue, I was
        quick to agree with the idea that conformed most closely to my
        original concept! That being said, I think you have to think of what
        would appeal (or be the least noticable) to the audience. If the rest
        of the women were in black skirts, one woman wearing the same blouse
        but black pants would problably not stand out too much.

        There are many on-line vendors selling tuxes, some for $100 or under.
        What we had with one chamber choir I directed was black pants for the
        men, and black coats. It so happened that everyone had a tux coat. We
        added gold bowties and gold cumberbunds. For the ladies, white
        blouses and straight black skirts, with a gold sash belt which
        matched the cumberbunds. One of the choir ladies sewed them. I let
        the ladies decide the skirt stlye amongst themselves. One pointer,
        though. Be sure all the skirts are the same height off the floor
        (measured with the shoes they will wwear to the performance). I also
        required a fukll dress rehearsla 1 week before the concert. This
        helped to insure that everone would have their uniform correct and
        complete at the concert (Note: Always cary a few spare accessories
        yourself!).

        As far as cost, if your group has a positive cash flow (which I never
        had!) then each member paid for their own. We tried to keep it to
        things everyone would have in their closet. A white shirt or blouse,
        even a tux coat sometimes, can be picked up from a thrift store, and
        will look fine on stage. I believe the mens' bow ties and cuberbunds
        were $15-20 and the girls sashes were $5 in material cost.

        Good luck!